Anyone convert camper to coop?

doccaroo

Chirping
Mar 31, 2018
Quinlan, TX
I have an old camper (it just needs a little cosmetic TLC to be useable) that I won't use. It is already hooked up to the other electrical box on my property. I am seriously considering giving it to the chickens just so they can have the a/c since this summer is so bad. It's supposed to be around 104-107 for the next few days minimum. I hate TX. lol.

Please post some pics if you have done this. How hard is it to clean? Did you keep the flooring or put sand down? Any advice would be great.

I think you would need to make sure that the floor was somehow waterproofed to keep it from rotting out with all the moisture from the chicken poop and such. Air conditioning sounds nice, but will it help to control the humidity, ammonia and such so the air quality will not degrade too much within an enclosed area like that? I am always worried about ventilation with my chickens - my coop is a concrete building (roof also) so I am very limited in what I can do for ventilation. Luckily it is buried on 2 sides with the third being the wall of the barn.

I really wanted to convert a camper to a coop, but couldn't find one available near me for a price I was willing to pay that was small enough to be reasonable (don't need a 40-foot coop with pop-outs!). I think it would be fairly easy to convert, by stripping everything out of the interior. I'd say seal the floor, and put down some kind of bedding - shavings, for example... put awnings over the windows, and keep them open all the time... it's already designed to have good ventilation, for human health, and a little bit of effort could improve on that even more. Not sure how wet your climate is.... here, unless it's raining, chicken droppings are dry and hard within about two hours, even at night, so humidity is less of an issue than it would be in a temperate environment. I can sympathize on the heat. It's miserable here, averaging about 105 currently.

Back
Top Bottom