Anyone cross a silver laced Wyandotte hen with a Barred Rock roo?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mom2chicksandpups, Jun 12, 2009.

1. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    We have an egg that's due to hatch in a few days that is supposed to be from this cross. The Wyandotte laid it and the only roo this person has is a Barred Rock. I was just curious what the cross might look like.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

It will be barred. BR roosters pass barring to all their progeny. Could have some almost-lacing in the chest area, as I've seen on some.

3. mom2chicksandpups

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Thanks. We will probably keep this one for an egg layer, so I was just curious what it might look like when grown. My husband bought some BR hatching eggs and this one was thrown in just to see if we could hatch it because the other guy hasn't had luck with them. I could really see some movement in this one, so I have my fingers crossed. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

Post some pics of it when it hatches! [​IMG]

5. mom2chicksandpups

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    I will. I am so excited because this will be our first hatch ever. I hope we have a good one.

6. mom2chicksandpups

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Well, they hatched and we could not tell which was the cross and which were the "pure" Barred Rocks. Then I noticed that one had a different comb. The cross has a little rose comb, so it was easy to pick it out once we noticed this difference. Otherwise the chicks are nearly identical.

7. speckledhen

Yep, I thought that would be the case. It may get some different plumage later on, like maybe some lacing-like coloring in the chest area, but will look pretty much like a BR, I'd think, except for that comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: