Anyone crossed a RIR (roo) & Leghorn (white/hen)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mvktr2, Jan 20, 2010.

1. mvktr2

mvktr2 Out Of The Brooder

Just curious what would come of a cross between a RIR roo and white Leghorn hens? Anyone done this. Seems the egg production might be out of sight... then again maybe not. Would it produce a sex-link off-spring?

Schlante,
    Phillip

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    They wont be a sex-linked (White Leghorn doesn't carry the Silver gene).
    They should be mainly White withe some Red showing through in the neck, shoulders and tail.

Chris

3. mvktr2

Thanks for the reply Chris. Wonder if someone could get a stable line going with common traits, sort of create a new hybrid/breed.

Hmmmm someone other than me that's for sure!

Schlante,
    Phillip

4. dtm

dtm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    i have made this cross. the roosters were white with red blended on the back, wings, and chest. some had white barring in the red, i assume this was from the leghorn side of it. some had red lacing on the chest. hens were mostly white though. they had very little red. i dont know about egg production, as i lost the remaining hen i had to a dog attack.

5. mvktr2

Currently my entire flock consist of... wait... wait... ready for this.... 1 RIR cock & 2 leghorn hens, none mature as yet. (I ordered more eggs today Delaware & Jers. Giants)

Anyhoo in the mean time once they're mature perhaps I'll hatch out 1/2 doz. eggs and see what they look like/what they egg prod. is like.

dtm, any recollection about the size, were they more RIR or Leghorn?

Schlante,
    Phillip

6. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    RIR X W Leghorn was one of the standard commercial crossing before hybrid layers came into being.
    The WL are,or should be Silver based, but the sex linkage is not isable due to the action of Dominant White.
    David

7. dtm

dtm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    the roos were more on the RIR side, although they grew quickly like the leghorns. i think the hens were more in between leghorn and RIR. ill probably do the cross again at some point. on another note, i have a hen thats a cross of a buff orp over a white leghorn. shes kind of off-white with the buff color lacing on her chest. also has gold around her eyes. she started laying back in december and has been laying up a storm ever since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by