Anyone deal with Bears bothering the coup at night?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rcentner, Sep 24, 2009.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I almost lost a flock of chickens to a bear last night, he almost got in my coup. I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for deterring bears. We are building a new everything proof coup, just lacking plywood that we can't get until tomorrow. I thought coyotes would be our toughest predator until I found out a bear has been living in our neighborhood for a few months. any thoughts?

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Wow - If I see a bear here, I'm moving! [​IMG]

3. Gonzo_MN

Gonzo_MN Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Plymouth, MN USA
  4. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Only electric fencing will keep them out, you have to set it for stun to get through the thick coat of fur.
    If they are hungry enough, they will rip the wood right off your coop.

There was a long thread (on another chicken forum ACE) about a sow and her two cubs that basically destroyed everything and kept coming back until there was nothing left to eat.

5. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I'd be getting in touch with animal control on that one, if the bear is deemed a nuisance bear, they can trap and remove it to another area.
    If you like bear meat though, sit and wait for him/her to return when you have a suitable firearm in hand.
    Bear meat is good to eat, BTW. Makes good "bearburgers"

6. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Quote:Yeah, I called DEC and I am awaiting the return call as I had to leave a message, but if they don't trap and release it, we will have a chance at bear meat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by