Anyone dealt with this??? Acting and eating normal

txfunnyfarm

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 21, 2015
Orange Grove, TX
6E12DDE1-2FD8-4202-91C9-134884120B58.jpeg
6E12DDE1-2FD8-4202-91C9-134884120B58.jpeg

I only just started raising turkeys so haven't seen that, but it looks like the same pox that younger and juvenile chickens get. The bottom part of crusted dirt and feather gunk I would clean and remove gently with water, and the pox on the eyelid should clear if their immune systems are working. My flock gets pox because of worms as the underlying problem, so maybe look into that as the cause. Pox used to be their death sentence, until I figured out the cause.

Here is one little chick currently recovering well, the worms have been removed, and he is able to open his eye again and eating well. His brothers and sisters also were treated, and his mom as well and all had worms and pox. Hope you figure it out.

Any parasite can disrupt their immune systems, so look out for lice, mites, worms, etc as the cause and treat that and it should clear up. You can see he has been scratching at it and there is a little blood, that is why I help them by keeping it clean of dirt, but the pox you can't really touch.
IMG_20210808_123707.jpg

Last edited:
I also think that could be fowl pox. It can cause them to not be able to see food and water, and starve, so make sure they are getting plenty. Mixing a small bowl of feet with added water in addition to their regular food and water can be good, and just clean it out each day. For the swollen eyes or eye scabs, clean out any pus, and apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Terramycin eye ointment is very good as well if your feed store has it. Do not disturb the scabs, as that can spread pox. Mosquitoes in hot weather carry the fowl pox virus. Wet pox which causes yellow lesions inside the beak is a more serious, but rare type of pox. As long as the poults get enough food and water, symptoms last about a month.

Back
Top Bottom