Anyone despur their rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Roy Rooster, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone despurs their roosters. I have one BO Roo named Roy.
    He is going on 3 years old and is beginning to get some long spurs. He is not
    hurting the hens or anything, it is just painful to watch him walk. He is a good
    boy and non-aggressive to humans.

I was wondering if this is a good idea or not. I was wanting some opinions and
    suggestions from other chicken owners.

They are a partially free-range flock. They have a covered pen but an uncovered
    run next to it. Occasionally I let them out into the yard for a day of hunting and pecking.

Anyway, I want to make the right choice here in balancing his ability to protect the girls
    but also keep him from hurting himself or the ladies as they grow longer.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a pic of Roy.
    [​IMG]

2. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Anyone out there?.... [​IMG]

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Yes the spurs can be shortened. There are a couple of methods used. One is taking a pair of pliers and gently twisting until they loosen and snap free, then be pulled off. There is another method that use a hot potato to loosen the spur. Both methods leave a smaller spur that will regrow. Try running a search from the box at the top of the page for a better description. Disclaimer here, I have not done a spur removal myself.

4. Autumn D

Autumn D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    i heard that one method is too soak the spurs in olive oil, then twist it off.dont know if it works though

5. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Ok, thanks so much. I have heard about both methods but was wondering what opinions are on removing spurs.
    Is it a good idea or should I just leave Roy and his spurs alone. I want to make sure before I take his spurs.

Thanks again

6. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    I tried the potato but it did not work. I did use the olive oil, then took pliers and twisted the spur off. It was very easy, and the rooster did not even flinch! I did this right before dark, so when I was done I put him on the roost. It was already beginning to harden by morning.

7. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Ok, thank you so much. Can you tell me more about using the pliers. How hard did you have to hold the spur and how easy was it
    to take off.

Have you noticed how long it took the grow back? Did your roo have any reaction to having his spurs removed. Like did he become
    more docile or was he just the same in personality as he was before?

I ask because I don't want to change my roos personality, just take his spurs because it is painful to watch him walk around them.

Thanks Again for your post, it was very helpful.

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I watched this video before I de spurred our roos the first time.

9. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Thank you so much, that was so helpful. Tell me, was it as easy as the video depicted?

Thanks Again [​IMG]

10. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    I always just trim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by