Anyone do small batch barnyard chick hatching for sale?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by City Chicken, Feb 14, 2013.

1. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    So, I have a light Sussex roo, RIR hens, white rock and light Sussex hens. I am really enjoying hatching chicks! I can't keep them all, and I would like to do this as a little part time business here locally. I am not interested in talking about pure breeding or such things, I am not a breeder, I am just hatching. And there won't be tons of money in it... My bator only fits 42.
    Is anyone else doing this out there for a little fun and spending cash? ( Read "more money to invest in chicken loving craze"). Of course when I sell them I will tell people what they are. But these breeds will make great egg layers and meat chickens. This will be second generation, the first generation are mature and lovely birds with a nice size body.

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    I'm thinking about it for this year!

3. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Let me know how it goes. My first tester batch of 16 should be hatching Monday or Tuesday. I was mainly testing fertility, but I will also have 16 chicks to sell. :) I think doing constant hatching works better for me too... Keep the incubator at the right temp and ready to go. I will put in the full 42 hopefully later this week after the 16 move to the brooder.. That will be exciting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by