anyone doing well on less than 20% protein?

quailmann

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 8, 2014
Hi all

I can only find 20% max protein feed here, thats what the whole country has. I am currently mixing 30% American soya with the advice of some BYC members. I have been feeding this 28.25% approx feed to many batches of quail but when slaughter day came i was surprised to find that they dressed out the same weight as the previous batches (many) which I raised on 19% protein for 3 weeks and then 16% protein for balance 3 weeks. I usually slaughter at 6 weeks.

My observation was that adding soya to the diet to increase protein made it taste better but did not make the birds grow heavier.

Any comments?
Is there anyone doing well on less than 20% protein?

I have fed 20% gamebird maintenance because I too have trouble finding higher protein feeds on occasion and while there might be a slight drop in production, it is nothing huge. Some of my hens never skipped a beat and still laid an egg daily. So if this is all you can find, use it. It didn't effect my flock terribly. Thankfully I am finding a 26% in my feed stores the past year on a regular basis. But it really depends on how much you want your birds laying. If they are not producing enough for you on 20% you might consider adding a protein supplement to their diet.

Feeding 20% is only for adult quail however, chicks need at least 26% for good growth.

Actually when my birds were on 16% layer they laid 95% daily. They were healthy and beautiful too. Then I started to increase protein and boom laying is less than 60%

if I have 19% protien diet in a 25kg bag what can I add to get it to a higher protien and how much do I add?

I will also be feeding insects.

There are lots of supplements out there you can add. I like the Calf Manna performance pellets which are used on all livestock. But you would need to grind these down for quail. 10% of the diet will up the protein well enough.

Kaytee makes an egg food supplement, not to be confused with Kaytee's Egg Food feed. I have used the supplement in the past and the birds really liked it. It uses 50% real egg lots of vitamins. These are small enough for quail to eat as is.

There are others out there if you do a google search on poultry protein supplements you might find more out there.

if I have 19% protien diet in a 25kg bag what can I add to get it to a higher protien and how much do I add?

I will also be feeding insects.

No worries... Most supppement with soy bean meal. The others will tell you what percentage to add to your 20% feed

Hard boiled eggs are a great source of protein with all the building blocks of life. If you don't have many quail, a hard boiled egg served up to your crew will help bump up the protein levels. Some of my hens like fish. I gave them some crawfish one time and the hens went bonkers over them. LOL

What is the % protein of boiled egg? I do get cracked eggs sometimes. Could give it to them. Is it true that if fed fish the egg taste turns 'fishy'? :) well maybe breed some guppies in a tank and feed them just once a week

Back
Top Bottom