Anyone drink raw eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by barnkat, May 23, 2008.

1. barnkat

barnkat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Western Mass
    I'm a vegetarian, and the protein from my chicken's eggs is a big source of protein for me. But I get so sick of the taste of cooked eggs! I want to eat more of them, without diluting them too much into baking or some other recipe that just has a few eggs in it...it's got to be something that is still high in protein.

I LOVE eggnog, so I've been thinking about making some other drinks with raw eggs, maybe a fruit smoothie or something.

Anyone make any drinks--besides eggnog--with raw eggs? Anyone drink them straight up like Rocky?

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

My grandpa talks about his uncle cracking 2 or 3 eggs into a glass of milk for breakfast each morning. I've never tried it but it sounds interesting. He was really disgusted about it though.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I think a lot of smoothies contain raw egg. So we probably all have eaten it at some point. Doesn't seem offensive to me.

Also, I find a little green tobasco sauce makes me like eggs more for eating them cooked.

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I used to know a guy who put a couple of eggs in his coffee in the morning with cream and sugar...made for a creamy latte:>)

5. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I couldn't stomach that. [​IMG]

6. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Banana Egg Power Drink

(2 servings)

1 Banana
    2 raw Organic eggs
    1/2 cup Almond milk
    1/3 cup fresh blueberries (or 1/4 cup frozen)
    1 tsp raw honey
    Combine all ingrediants in blender until well mixed.

To make Almond milk: Soak 1/2 cup raw almonds in 2 cups filtered water overnight. Combine water and almonds in blender until almonds have been ground and water is frothy white. Put through strainer to remove almond pieces. Raw Eggs? You won't even taste them. Enjoy!

You can also make a breakfast drink with 2 raw eggs in some orange juice ans skim milk...

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Orange Julius used to use raw egg.
    Originally, and through the 1980's, a raw egg blended into the drink was offered as an option. This was seen as a good source of protein for body builders. However, the option was later dropped for food safety reasons, and bananas are now offered as a substitute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Julius

You can use this recipe and add an egg to it.

Things YouÂ’ll Need:
    Groceries
    Blenders
    1 c. milk
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 (6-oz.) can frozen orange juice concentrate
    1 c. sugar
    12-15 ice cubes
    Step1 Put the milk and 1 c. water in a blender.
    Step2 Add the vanilla extract.
    Step3 Add the frozen orange juice concentrate and sugar.
    Step4 Start the blender.
    Step5 Add the ice cubes, one by one, until the beverage reaches the desired thickness.
    Step6 Pour and enjoy.

http://www.ehow.com/how_18611_make-...ce=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

8. barnkat

barnkat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Western Mass
    That banana-egg drink sounds really good. I'll have to try making an orange julius with an egg sometime, but that's more like a treat than something for everyday or for breakfast. Eggs in milk...I'd add some vanilla and sugar...like a mild egg nog, that would be good. But that coffee and egg drink? BLECCHHHH!!! [​IMG]

It's so easy to gross out at the thought of drinking eggs, but we all gross out so much at new food...once we try it, it might be really good, once we get used to it. It's funny how we learn certain food combinations that we stick with throughout life. Maybe coffee and eggs are good, once you get over the instinct to yak it up! I bet ketchup on eggs sounded gross to a lot of people before it "caught on".

9. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Having been born and raised in L.A., we used to have Orange Julius' at stands all through the summer. They were very cold, frothy (both important.) and you couldn't tell there was egg in them at all.

To me they seemed like a sweetened, chilled, frothed, orange drink. No milk or other flavors. [​IMG]

By the way, I'm a hypoglycemic, and need a mix of protein and carb snack around. One of my favorites is my homemade 15 white angelfood cake!

It's high protein, some carb and sugar, no fat. If you'd like the recipe, just let me know! [​IMG]

Oh, and you can just snack on a piece, or serve it with something served over it. One of my favorites is a blueberry sauce I make, which is easy, and uses whole berries.

Good luck! [​IMG]

10. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    When I was a kid I used to put about a cup of milk in the blender with a raw egg, blend it up, chunk in some ice cubes, and then add maple syrup (the real thing). YUM. You can put nutmeg on top.

And although it's been probably 40 years since I had that, I think I may go make one right now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by