Anyone else allergic to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate?

CrazyChickieMama

Songster
11 Years
Feb 23, 2008
Bolton, NC
For the past 7-8 months, I have been extremely itchy(to the point of crying it hurt so bad) on my upper body whenever I get out of the shower or bath...I tried changing shampoos, conditioners, body soaps, water temperature, nothing worked.

So I researched a little bit and found out that there are a lot of people that are allergic to SLS. Companies add it to soaps, toothpaste, shampoo and other things to make them foam.

So now, I'm on the hunt for stuff that does not have that ingredient. But I also made an appt. with a dermatologist to check for Aquagenic Pruritus, which is a skin disease characterized by the development of severe, intense, prickling-like epidermal itching that is without observable skin lesions and that is evoked by contact with water...Good times.
barnie.gif
he.gif

I am not allergic to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, but I do avoid it. My grocery store has a natural section (Korger store) and I am able to buy a brand called Giovanni. It is spendy, like 9.00 a bottle, but it last as lost or longer than cheap shampoo does. I defiantly use less. I was also told that Sodium Lauryl Sulfate causes hair loss. That is not something I want happing to me. And all it is used for is foam, I would rather not have a lot of foam.

You shouldn't have many problems finding SLS-free stuff. Lush makes some bath and body stuff without it and I'd bet there are lots of sellers on Etsy that make SLS-free products too.

I hadn't even thought about etsy...I wonder if Burt's Bees uses sls? hmm...I don't like the foam either. I know it's cleaning my hair and skin, so why do I need the foam?

It's not needed, but many people think they're getting clean just because something foams. It's all perception. I myself like foam and have no problems with SLS, but it can certainly be an irritant for some. I've never checked into Burt's Bees- I can find good products from etailers that are cheaper and work wonderfully.

Thank you for posting this. I'm seeing a dermatologist this week for this unknown whatever-it-is that's driving me crazy and I'll bring this up. I don't know if mine is caused by water, but it sure as heck makes it WAY worse and more itchy.

I don't like SLS (though deal with it when necessary) and have found quite a few brands at health food stores that carry non-SLS shampoos. You may find luck with homemade shampoo's as well! You can do a search for it online.

Back
Top Bottom