ANYONE ELSE? Can I get help sexing BR chicks please? PICS

Carrie Lynn

Songster
Aug 30, 2010
S.E. Michigan
My chicks are going on 6 weeks old and I'm not convinced they are both pullet chicks.
Thanks for your help
smile.png

The darker legs belong to the chick w/ the black on it's beak.
Would more specific photos help? You can click on these to enlarge them for more detail...

Last edited:
Yes, I see the difference. Although my chicks seem to have coloring more similar to your cockerel's except with less white.
They were more pale a few weeks back, but not quite as much as your pullet chick. I imagine that could vary depending upon the source of the chicks. Mine are hatchery-grade.
Yikes! One of mine has a puffier tail, sort of like your cockerel. Although, I've seen puffy tails on young pullets before when I raised a few RIRs.
I'm a mess worrying about a roo....can't have them in the city.
Thanks for posting!

Last edited:
I had a bunch of pullets whose barring was identical to your chicks. The point is that the roos really stand out. At 6 weeks, they already have their combs red and red wattles in sprout. The barring on the Roo is twice as big and twice as bright.
BTW, that little pullet has grown up to be a very attractive hen. Her "coloration" came in very well. That photo was taken at 4.5 weeks and her coloration wasn't that great.

Again, your chicks are absolutely pullets. Combs all yellow and no wattles. The black is the give a way for me. The roos look almost silver and white.

They are lovely!
Which one is she? I prefer the look of lighter hens, actually the roos are my favorites looks-wise.
My avatar shows the banty "pullet turned roo" I couldn't keep.
sad.png

As a matter of fact, my chick w/ the black on her beak is starting to get a bit of a pink wattle, hope that doesn't mean anything---yet.
She seems pullet in every other regard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom