Anyone else doing a MAJOR cleaning of their coop?

augustmomx2

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Central Indiana
After several weeks of the girls being trapped by the snow, cold and wind...their coop is a mess. I do not do deep-litter, so I am cleaning the entire thing. My garden is going to love the compost, but I am not looking forward to the smell
sickbyc.gif

We sweep and MOP every week.... and I spray the roosts once a month, and clean out the nest boxes every month also. No bugs on my birds.

yup, tomorrow, I do deep-litter but my yearly clean out is usualy oct, but it was to wet and rainy, so its going to be done tomorrow. I like cleaning when its cool seem to go faster.

Oh, I so need to clean out several coops!
barnie.gif

Maybe one day next week I can start and devote a day to each big coop. I can keep up with the brooders well enough, they are simple but those big coops with about 50- 80 chickens in each one can build up quickly with lots of nasty. And it has been a bad winter so the birds are staying in more.
th.gif

After finally getting the 15wk old RIR's into their hoop coop I can finally get the coop they were confined in cleaned out. I wish the litter was all there is to it, however we all know how dusty chicks are. What a mess, everything is covered. I'll do it sometime next week though. I'm going to enjoy the little ones a little this weekend outside instead of in a confined space indoors. Besides if I go ahead and clean it out it will be ready for the next round.

I won't do mine until Spring (March/April) then we will do it again at the beginning of fall. If they are stuck inside for an extended period of time I will go in and scoop any large piles of poo, but otherwise it just gets deeper and deeper

I do deep litter. A complete cleaning was done at the end of November in preparation for the birds spending more time inside over the winter. All the poop has been frozen for the last month, but now we've got a thaw. I'm going to add more bedding tomorrow before things get stinky.

Back
Top Bottom