Anyone else doing a MAJOR cleaning of their coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by augustmomx2, Jan 15, 2010.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    After several weeks of the girls being trapped by the snow, cold and wind...their coop is a mess. I do not do deep-litter, so I am cleaning the entire thing. My garden is going to love the compost, but I am not looking forward to the smell [​IMG]

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

When summer comes yes but it's to cold to do so right now.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We sweep and MOP every week.... and I spray the roosts once a month, and clean out the nest boxes every month also. No bugs on my birds.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Maybe when the snow melts. It's too deep to push the wheelbarrow through. [​IMG]

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    yup, tomorrow, I do deep-litter but my yearly clean out is usualy oct, but it was to wet and rainy, so its going to be done tomorrow. I like cleaning when its cool seem to go faster.

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Oh, I so need to clean out several coops! [​IMG]
    Maybe one day next week I can start and devote a day to each big coop. I can keep up with the brooders well enough, they are simple but those big coops with about 50- 80 chickens in each one can build up quickly with lots of nasty. And it has been a bad winter so the birds are staying in more.[​IMG]

7. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    After finally getting the 15wk old RIR's into their hoop coop I can finally get the coop they were confined in cleaned out. I wish the litter was all there is to it, however we all know how dusty chicks are. What a mess, everything is covered. I'll do it sometime next week though. I'm going to enjoy the little ones a little this weekend outside instead of in a confined space indoors. Besides if I go ahead and clean it out it will be ready for the next round.

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I won't do mine until Spring (March/April) then we will do it again at the beginning of fall. If they are stuck inside for an extended period of time I will go in and scoop any large piles of poo, but otherwise it just gets deeper and deeper

9. bukbugack

bukbugack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    L.I. New York
    I do deep litter. A complete cleaning was done at the end of November in preparation for the birds spending more time inside over the winter. All the poop has been frozen for the last month, but now we've got a thaw. I'm going to add more bedding tomorrow before things get stinky.

10. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    my bedding seems pretty damp--the water tipped over a couple times. do i need to get rid of all the bedding before putting in dry stuff?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by