Anyone else eating organic produce and grass fed/grass finished beef & lamb?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Carolyn252, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Carolyn252

Carolyn252 Mother of Chickens

Thought we might share info on what organic fruits and veggies are available in supermarkets and farmers' markets. Especially now in the winter months.

And where to find grass fed and grass finished meats. (Cows and Lambs that were never given grains, only grass.)

Also we might share recipes that are interesting, or fast and easy, or downright fabulous.

I got interested in all this because someone recommended that I read some of Dr. Terry Wahls' articles online. (You can find her website easily.) After I read her essays and watched her videos online, I bought her book. She's a medical doctor. She changed her eating habits to all organic as a treatment for her Multiple Sclerosis, but recommends it for several other conditions as well.

My motivation is to promote and maintain overall general good health, and specifically to avoid Alzheimer's Disease. I'm in my early 70's, completely healthy and active, but both my Mom and one of her sisters had severe cognitive decline in their eighties and nineties.

So, DH and I have been switching over to organic produce almost exclusively for about two months now. It was a huge surprise to us to find that we've actually got a winter's farmers market just ten minutes from our house. It's there every Sunday afternoon.

So now, breakfast is strawberries, blueberries, banana, kiwi, apple, and sometimes some orange &/or pear. I haven't found any organic coffee yet, but I'm using organic milk in my morning cup of coffee.

Mid-morning snack is cashews, dried figs, raw carrots.

Lunch is my hen's delicious eggs, beets, cucumber and tomatoes.

We haven't found any grassfed&finished meat locally as yet, but just yesterday we placed our first online order for some to be shipped to us frozen. Wondering how different pastured beef and lamb will taste.

Anybody else here on BYC into organic food for self and family?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I do as much as possible. However, in addition to organic, I lean more toward a raw Paleo diet.
    Lots of veggies, fruits only seasonally, very little grain and much more meat and fish, all as raw as possible.
    If the meat is eaten raw it must be organic and all the meat needs to be grass fed. All fish has to be wild caught.
    I'm lucky to have a farm up the road that raises organic grass fed and finished beef that they sell in sides or whole. Other than that, venison and my own chicken I will eat grass fed lamb and bison whenever I get to Whole Foods market.

3. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

OOOOH, I'm subscribing to this one!

If you haven't already, check out Local Harvest to find some great sources for the meat you describe.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I do this as much as possible also (although I don't eat meat). I know you are probably trying to stay local, but as local coffee growers are probably hard to find :), Amazon sells organic free trade coffee, as do lots of other online places. Or even better, buy the green beans and roast yourself - I did that for a while until my DH stopped drinking coffee.

5. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    we're rasing our own so we have access... currently supplying our own eggs, milk, some of our cheese and butter, lamb, beef, honey, soon to be adding duck, chicken, rabbit, goose, and turkey. this year my garden goal is to not have to buy any produce of any kind... ok, maybe just the things I can't grow locally, like oranges and avocados.

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We raise a lot of our own food for ourselves and others. We sell chicken, grass-fed beef steers (only a small number per year as our farm can't handle too many and still have good pasture), heritage turkeys for Thanksgiving, and we hope to soon start with sheep for lamb. We also have a few dairy goats for milk and may soon have a dairy cow as well. We buy almost all of our produce from local farms at farmers markets. I still buy staples like sugar and flour at the store, but we try hard to keep it local. We do have a hive of bees as well, but we won't be harvesting any honey for another several months.

7. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    We moved to NC a few years ago, and this has made it SOOO much easier to eat local and organic year round! The weather here is pretty mild. Some things can be grown all winter just out in the open, but with a wind tunnel, organic farmers down here easily grow all sorts of things year round. We have a farmer's market every Sat morning, and right now, there are plenty of greens (creasies are our favorite!) and lettuces available, as well as cabbage, broccoli, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions. The farmer I buy most of my veggies from even had some greenhouse tomatoes this past weekend. There are also several sellers of meat. I got some goat stew meat this week. I usually get a chicken or 2 as well while I'm there, but we finally did something about our extra cockerels last week and we're all a little tired of eating chicken.

I'm surprised you haven't found organic coffee. Organic coffee is usually one of the easier organic things to find. I've been buying organic coffee for at least 12 years now. Does your famer's market have a local roaster vender there? Ours does, but I usually buy my coffee at Earth Fare. That's a local to me store that is very similar to Whole Foods Market, only they sell a lot of local things. I love Larry's Beans, which is a NC company. But I often end up buying my coffee at BJ's just b/c I end up going there more often than I do Earth Fare.

8. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    We raise our own pork and poultry and buy grass fed beef from a neighbor for really cheap. My best suggestion would be to find a farm (using Local Harvest for example)
    and see if they do 'shares" of meat. In other words it can be very economical to buy a quarter or a half or even a whole cow. Its not like it sounds- you dont get a giant carcass. Typically you work with the farmer and the processor/butcher to say which cuts you want. So you pick up boxes of neatly packaged cuts and store them in a chest freezer.

If you dont have a chest freezer I would say get one. The fact is that organic meat and veggies are expensive. So you need to be able to bargain hunt and buy quantities that make it more economical. Then you can freeze extra fruit and veggies, or learn to put them up using various canning methods. You can even make your own jams really really easily. Its very satisfying to see all those beautiful jars of jam, pickles, beans, beets, relishes, and see yoru freezer packed with bags of goodness.
    I froze a TON of blackberries and blueberruies when they were in season and now when I open up one of those bags its like summer in this house.
    Another website I like is www.pickyourown.org.
    You can find farms that let you come and pick fruits and veg in season. Its a lot of fun and it gives you quantities you can then freeze or preserve.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by