Anyone else enjoy their koi pond and or watergardening??

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by happychickengirls, Mar 1, 2011.

1. happychickengirls

happychickengirls In the Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    I was just wondering if their are any other koi pond enthusiasts out there? Here is a pic of my pond, which has been
    a work in progress. It has progressed so much over the last 8 years now. I cant wait for spring to come
    and the ice to melt once again so I can start seeing all my beautiful fish!!! Every spring is a whole new rebirth.
    Here are some pics, hope you enjoy!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ema

Ema Songster

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    you have no idea how much I envy you at this point, this is a project my husband and I are very much looking forward to starting this year. It looks fantastic btw!!
    [​IMG]

Ema

3. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Songster

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    Such a lovely pond....and backdropped by a fabulous Betula pendula! How many inhabitants does your pond support?

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Crowing

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    My big boy and I are redoing my pond. Due to deer and other critters it was a mucky little hole last summer. This spring we have more than doubled the size of the pond (still on the small side) and I'm planning the bog and waterfall. We have a really nice pond shop/nursery here, and I've been in twice already looking at their set ups and asking lots of questions. I'm going out to pick rocks this week and hopefully get the bog and waterfall started.

I won't do koi, just goldfish. I've lost too many fish to raccoons, and have had herons in the yard.

5. happychickengirls

Mar 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Well I have three 8-10 inch koi and the rest are all shubunkins (goldfish). I have about
    50 of them. Of course every year they mate and multiply so I try to weed some of them out
    in the spring/summer. Honestly I have never had problems with raccoons however I have lost
    a few fish to the heron. That is one reason we added the pergula. Also for shade too in the summer.
    I am growing honeysuckle on two of the sides. Eventually I hope it covers the whole pergula.
    However this is a work in progress!!! In the meantime we use a tarp in the summer and thread it
    thru the pipes on the pergula. It helps keep some of the sun of the pond since it is in direct sun all
    day long. Also helps hide the pond from herons. I dont know if you can see from the pics but I also
    use heavy metal wire and criss cross them from the side posts. This helps keep the herons from gaining
    entrance if they do land down. Also the bogs work very well!!! They are nice because the koi dont really
    bother the plants in there. Also I would tell you from experience when you go to plant your plants in the bogs
    dont plant anything that will have a huge root base. Such as irises. Planted those and after two years they grew so much.
    They started pushing all the rocks and the bog wall out into the pond. Had to rip those out last year and fix the walls again.
    Just a warning to you. But yes, I do love my pond and find it very relaxing . Love my chickens too!!

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    What a beautiful pond! The one I put in years ago is now a nasty mess but it still grows water lillies great. In fact, some years I fork out half of them and put them in the compost. My problem is, it's too small and no pump any more. But as I say, the lillies love it still and it doesn't stagnate.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That is a beautiful pond. Mine is a lot smaller.

Have had problems with both raccoons and herons. Last fall some bird came in the night and got around the netting and wiped out all the goldfish. Ugh! So I'll be reevaluating this year. Here's a pix, but I did redo a lot last spring.

[​IMG]

8. happychickengirls

Mar 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    I LIKE IT!!![​IMG] Love how your deck is right on pond!!!! Nice plants too!!!!

9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Crowing

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I'll post pictures of mine when we finish. Right now it is just a hole in the ground surrounded by piles of dirt. It just lovely!!!!! [​IMG]

10. Pinky

Pinky Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Where do you all get those beautiful rocks that are around your ponds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: