Anyone else enter their chickens in the Alaska state fair?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by akpeeps, Sep 7, 2010.

1. akpeeps

akpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I entered 4 Silkies last week. My Splash roo got a first place. [​IMG] I entered another Splash roo and my two blue hens as a production pen and got second place, which was better than I expected since both the girls molted about 5-6 weeks ago. They were still a little sparse in the bussle but not bad after a bath and fluffing. [​IMG] Makes me wonder what they would have done if they were fully feathered out.
    I can't complain. This is the second year I've entered and the second year I got ribbons on all my entries. [​IMG]:woot

2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    I didn't enter as I'm new to chickens, but I did GO to specifically SEE the poultry exhibits and I found them VERY sparse. I was rather disappointed. I didn't see any Silkies. Actually, I don't think I saw any splash chickens either. Was I too early or too late? The pens were MAYBE 1/3 full.

3. akpeeps

akpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    You may have been early if you went the first week. They split the entries...standard/large breeds are in the first week and bantams are in the second week. They were entered last Tuesday through yestereday.
    I didn't have any ready for the first week this year. I have a nice 10ish week old Blue Orpington cockeral that will be entered next year and hopefully I'll have something hatching out of the batch of eggs I have in the bator now.
    I noticed the lack of entries this year. Last year they barely had enough pens to go around.

4. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    We went on the 31st this year, apparently the middle of the changeover. Figures.

Next year I'll remember that and go early. Of course if I have my Orloffs I'll be entering them!

5. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    I'm definitely planning on entering next year as well. There wasn't a single Delaware in either the first or second entry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by