Anyone else ever had cervical disc surgery?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickensioux, Oct 17, 2011.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I had C4 & C5 blow out about 10 years ago and had them repaired with a titanium plate, screws and cadaver bone. I had to have surgery because I had lost use of my right arm. I have had neck pain (pretty severe) for about a month now. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this surgery and had any complications from it years down the road.

2. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    I was told I needed neck surgery a few years ago but didnt do it. I changed to one those firm contour pillows and got a new mattress.
    The pain was so bad I couldn't turn my head now I'm fine, but it took about 6 weeks. My sister in law was in a car wreck and had all
    the fun stuff done you endured. (Her back is half metal). She has never been comfortable since her injury and now is addicted to pain killers and has gone
    crazy. I have a cousin that was told she needed back surgery and didnt have it done but stayed in bed for weeks and then just puttered about,
    now she is fine. It may be that my cousin and I are just delaying the inevitable but I've seen spinal surgery go two ways. Either you wind up with
    a really good result really quickly or start down a really rocky path. I would make sure you fully research what can be done, weigh the expected results against
    possible downfalls and know exactly what the doctor is going to do. There are options. Some hospitals have better equipment and lower hospital acquired infection rates adn different doctors aproach the problem differently. (Coral injections verses metal screws) Personally I would prefer to have my own hip bone chips put in than a cadavor's bones. (sp?)

3. kimisfishing

kimisfishing Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    I had that surgery 7 years ago, my 5,6and 7 were just gone. I have pain most of the time, but tolerable, and the muscles in my shoulders are always on fire. I did not have pain before surgery, but new that if I did not do it I would be paralized . I am having the same symptoms as before so I know there are more problems but the DR. said they will not do it again so just go till I cant.

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I was told that surgery for bone taken from your own hips is worse than the neck surgery. I have been using a contour pillow for years. I'm so concerned that something is going on with the other discs. I am sticking my head in the sand right now. But my neck and shoulder muscles are on fire too.[​IMG]

5. kimisfishing

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    I did have doaner bone too....( dead wieght) LOL my friend had the other and she said it is alot worse.
    I change pillows every 2 or 3 days and eat muscle relaxers to sleep. but I still do every thing I want, I drive a school bus for a living so the stress gets to my neck some times too

6. kimisfishing

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    I DID NOT have any pain from the surgery at all, but I do have problems swallowing, and my thyroid went nuts about 3 years after the surgery and so did my friend's.

7. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Have a natural fusion in C5 C6 had C4-C5 fusion done a few years ago. DR wanted to wait as long as possible to fuse C6 to C7. Had migraine from h3ll before the surgery. Have not had a headache since then. Do have a small problem with range of motion, not bad but it is there. Looking up and down stuff like that. I would have it done again today. When I have the ,other fusion done I will loose more range not ready for that to happen so will wait for that one. You have to decide how much pain you have now vs, the end results of surgery. You are the only who can make that call. Good luck with your decision

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by