Anyone else expecting a cold weather ship date on 2/9 from ideal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wink, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Wink

Wink Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    I'm kinda freaking out; this is my first run at ordering/receiving/raising chicks. I wasnt (who was?) expecting this freaky ice/snow storm to linger as long as it has here in Texas.

I'm only 4 hours away from ideal hatchery, hatch date is 2/9, I should get them 2/10. Checked wunderground and it's supposed to be Mid 30'S, but Wednesday lows are expected to be In the teens. Snow expected, too on wednesday. I'm hoping there are no delays due to weather, cannot imagine my chicks hanging out for even an extra day.

To top it off, I've ordered 16 bantams. So that means I'm going to have packing peanuts for warmth. I've called and requested extra bantams, but know it's their choice to put standards in. I'm just nervous that they put so many extra standards in for warmth, that the ones I wanted and paid for are all going to be crushed/ smothered in every attempt to keep warm.

Since Ideal is also located in Texas and suffering through the same ice storms, I imagine they are taking extra precautions? Or im assuming that this weather is pretty typical in other parts of the US and people who order chicks during this time just expect some DOA's due to cold weather?

2. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

I feel your pain! I have an order coming to central Fla from Iowa ( McMurray) . It's balmy there today with a hi of around 30. Supposed to ship tomorrow I think. I hope they can find a ride!All I can offer is this. These big hatcheries ship 100,000 + chicks a week! They must have it figured out! Now, just breath;) ...........stan

3. Wink

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    I'm breathing, but since this whole thing is so new to me, I just over dwell until the day finally arrives. Wow, you're chicks have a pretty good trip ahead of them! I won't complain about my 4 hours.... Just wish it wasn't so darn cold!!!

4. paceysgl5

paceysgl5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    We are also getting an Ideal shipment for next week. However we live in MA so the poor babies will have a much longer and colder trip than yours. Yours should be fine as long as your post office handles them correctly (does not try to deliver them or anything). Hope you update this post when you get them so I can see my babies' "cousins" hehehe. Our only bantams are 2 white and 2 grey silkies...

5. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    I just received my order of baby chicks from Ideal yesterday.

They put extra male chicks in to keep the others warm.

I ordered 10 EE hens and 1 EE roo and 1 Blue Red Cubalaya roo.

They shipped 10 ee hens 1 ee roo and 2 BR Cubalaya roo (1 was DOA)

Plus 15 extra roo to keep others warm (1 died shortly after delivery)

I got all I ordered plus 14 roo all alive and well

I live in Indiana and it was 7' yesterday morning.

That was my experience with Ideal and am very happy!

Good Luck with your new babies!

6. Wink

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    Quote:I'm glad it was a good venture for you! I hadn't really thought what I would do if I got any DOA's.....the ground outside is frozen!

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:If I lived that close to the hatchery, I'd just drive and pick them up. That way I wouldn't have to worry about what treatment they were getting from postal carriers, or about bantams being squished by standard chicks, or weather.

8. Wink

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    Quote:If I lived that close to the hatchery, I'd just drive and pick them up. That way I wouldn't have to worry about what treatment they were getting from postal carriers, or about bantams being squished by standard chicks, or weather.

We thought about that! But between one child in school, 1 toddler, 1 infant, random overtime on weekends, and now this crazy unanticipated ice/snow storm wreaking havoc across texas, the 8 hour total trip seems out of our ability. We Loved the idea of taking a leisurely trip, but now it doesn't seem so leisurely! I envy those people who can do their own pick up! Less potential death and better conditions all around!

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

Ditto. [​IMG]

10. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    just received my ideal chicks today my ship date was 2/15. i ordered 25 blue laced wyandotte bantams. everyone was fine. no weak chicks or DoAS. no warmer chicks.
    i did notice most of the vent holes wear covered up so it must of helped hold the heat in. so so happy with ideal hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by