Anyone else expecting kits end of this month?!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by EmAbTo48, Mar 2, 2013.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thought I'd see if anyone else is expecting kits around the end of this month. This is the first time these 2 have bred I have 2 Himi Netherland Dwarfs. So I am excited to see if I will get any babies!

I bred her on the 27th. So hoping around the 29th-1.

Anyone else? It be neat to see if you get any babies too!

2. DaisyMeadow

DaisyMeadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2013
    Willamette Valley, OR
    I am fairly new to bunnies (got ours last summer) and we decided to take the plunge and breed all 5 does at once so they'd be weaned around Easter time. We have CA/NZ bunnies and had 3 does with 7 kits each, one had 4, the other 5. We had a few problems with kits falling out of the nesting box and getting too cold as they were born right smack in the middle of the coldest part of the year. But, overall, I think it was a good experience for a first kindling. At last count, we still have 23 kits at the moment. Here's hoping people are looking for Easter bunnies!

[​IMG]

Best of luck with your buns, and do post some pics.

3. Totalcolour

Totalcolour Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, we have 3 does expecting. One early next week, (Champagne D'Argent) one little black (unknown breed) 5 days later, and a broken Rex 5 days after that. These are all meat bunnies.
    [​IMG]

4. bernie29

bernie29 New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    I have a doe expecting this coming Sunday. She's a la mancha. The buck is part la mancha and I think his other part was Nigerian Dwarf although his original owner didn't want to admit it...why she was like that is beyond me! I even told her I'd be happy if he was because I wanted to start raising mini la manchas. Anyway, last years babies were so cute. But I got two bucklings. I'm hoping for two does or at least one doe and one buckling. Hoping and praying for healthy, happy kid babies.

5. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]
    I currently have 10 kits from one doe and six from another.
    [​IMG]

6. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]
    I was fortunate to get twin doelings this year. [​IMG]I'm just building a herd, so it's perfect. Have to replace my buck though. Too bad since he's sweet.
    Good luck getting doelings yourself [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  7. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    We are expecting one Californian to kindle on the 22nd and two others to kindle early April... We just had three does kindle three weeks ago (all first time moms) and the experience was pretty good. Two Californians and a Holland Mini Lop that I bred w/ a Californian buck (I just could not resist). They are all meat rabbits except for the Holland who's a pet but we could never bred w/ our other two rabbit pets (2 Netherland Dwarfs).

Kits were gorgeous but only two made it and had to be adopted because mom got sick with terrible sore hocks (I had not notice this throught her pregnancy)... I felt so bad for her [​IMG]

I am paying lots of attention now so this does not repeat... I will post pics of these mixed bunnies tomorrow.

8. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Mine were due this morning. I'm hoping they'll come sometime today or tomorrow morning -- I can't stand waiting! I'm pretty certain the doe is pregnant. She tried making a nest of newspaper on the 28th day, but I must have disturbed her a little too much getting the nestbox in because she stopped making it, and she hasn't done anything since then besides trying to play with the box. She looks really fat and has been eating a lot more than normal.

Also, this doe has had two litters before, and both times she waited until just before she kindled to make any sort of nest, so I was surprised when she started making one a few days ago.

9. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    Have you felt the babies move? I can always feel them move in their belly from day 28th on... I just place the doe on my lap or a table and put my hand underneath the belly while scratching their heads or ears with the other hand. The times I have not felt kits at 28 days were because they were not pregnant. Just my experience... anyways you should wait until day 35 to rebreed (just in case).

I actually did this on a doe today and felt the kits (kind of just laying her belly on your hand, not palpating or anything like it)--- I DO NOT PALPATE AT ANY STAGE-- and while she's 26 days into her pregnancy I could feel them move pretty easily... This is NOT easy to do with the doe upside down though.

Hope you get to feel them and she kindles allright [​IMG]

10. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.

That sounds like a good idea, except we're trying to leave her alone. This doe was not handled when she was young. We bought her as an already-mature doe and she was unfriendly. It would probably just make matters worse to pick her up at this stage... I would definitely try that with a friendly doe, but I get the feeling that this one may only kindle if she feels calm enough. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by