anyone else experienced this..i think i am a chicken weirdo

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Jkioneil, May 23, 2010.

1. Jkioneil

Jkioneil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    So I am in Graduate school in a different state. I commute on weekends about 5 hours to go to school. I leave friday morning early and get home late Sunday night. I do this about once or twice a month depending on the class. My family often comes with me but recently they have stayed home. I miss them so much when I am away. [​IMG] What is new and why i think i am a weirdo is what happeed this weekend. Before I left i left directions for my husband and kids about the house and the animals. I got up early friday morning and went and let the girls out of thier house to free range. They (as always) were thrilled for it to be morning and run out to greet me and get treats. I filled the water and food and went tin to get ready to leave. Well, all weekend I have been talking about my chickens! I miss them. I call home and email to see how the family is and to ask about the girls. I call to make sure they got treats to make sure they are in for the night and out for the day. I know my family is doing these things.. i do not need to remind them. it is simply that I want to know how they are. Is it strange to miss your chickens? Anyone else ever left town and then miss your girls and wonder about how they are doing?

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Sorry, I've got so many birds, I can't leave town.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yes, because I work/live in another town, I used to call relentlessly to make sure things happened. In my case, I can never be sure my animals are taken care of to my specifications. They are fed and watered, anything other than that is high hoping. I wish I could change it, but until I have a place with land of my own, I have to do it this way. Now I'm scared to call. Luckily, with safety measures in place, my losses are down.

4. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    I have been considering setting up a couple of web cams to keep an eye on them for the few hours I am at work, much less when I leave town.

5. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    OMG! that crossed my mind!

6. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    i cant reach home ahhhh i want to go home ad see how they are

7. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    to prove my obsession .. i could not reach fam today and i just got an text from home and all it said was the girls are fine and happy had treats and are taking dust bath now! [​IMG] i did not leave a message he just knew why i was calling. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by