Anyone else feel like this?

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
I have developed a deep and complex reverence for my cornish x broilers. I love and respect them, but not like pets. Let me explain.

I am from Brooklyn, NY. 2 yrs ago my wife and I bought 5 acres and began our journey to self sufficiency. These meat birds have completely upped my self sufficiency game. They give me the ability to provide nutritious meat for my family. They allow me to stop participating in factory farming by buying not buying chicken at the grocery store. I feed them, they feed me. It is so simple and beautiful.

They may be a little ugly, and oily, but they are clean and respectable and they changed my entire perspective on the food system and how I can be a part of it. I love these birds. Thank you little broilers. I am honored to give you a wonderful life when you are around, and thankful for all you give me, tangibly and spiritually.

Am I a crazy hippie? Overthinking it? Anyone else feel this way?
20200727_191108.jpg

Get quail.
And incubator and quail...fill the freezer.
I have a small incubator already! Once the new chicken shed is built, I am 99% going to put quail in that spot the chickens are in now. I have been obsessively researching and already planted the seed with my wife. What is your meat quail schedule like?

I have a small incubator already! Once the new chicken shed is built, I am 99% going to put quail in that spot the chickens are in now. I have been obsessively researching and already planted the seed with my wife. What is your meat quail schedule like?
I have a hatching problem.
I butcher when I need to clean out cages so I can refill them. No set schedule other than when I feel like it.

I believe it would be best to have at least 3 cages.
One for breeders, grow outs and freshly hatched.
Butcher the grow outs, replace with babies.

Back
Top Bottom