Anyone else give their excess eggs away rather than cut down on hens?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by seedcorn, Oct 13, 2011.

1. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    I've got 8 bantam hens that during the spring, summer and now fall, lay many more eggs than I can use. So, I give the excess to neighbors. Since they get to free range part of the day, their feed bill is next to nothing. Or at least that is one of many excuses to not down size.........

Now to find a couple of hens or rooster that are of better blood lines that won't cost me an arm and leg.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I just feed the extras back to my animals... dogs, chickens, pigs, geese...

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I give eggs away rather than sell them. I figure I'm earning goodwill points with the neighbors that have to listen to my roosters.

4. LisaAnnW

LisaAnnW Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    [​IMG]

Quote:

5. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I sell, give away, and feed extras to my animals. Just depends on how many extra I have! Right now it is slim pickens for anybody else since mine are molting and not laying!!!

6. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:x2

7. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Quote:x2

x3

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:What a waste. Your hens went through a lot to lay them and you toss them out. Lately I've been taking 6 to 8 dozen to the local food bank every week. They fight over who's going to get them.

9. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Quote:What a waste. Your hens went through a lot to lay them and you toss them out. Lately I've been taking 6 to 8 dozen to the local food bank every week. They fight over who's going to get them.

That's one opinion and good for you... But mine is that if you're feeding it to your other animals, it's not a "waste". They're not "tossed out" into the garbage or yard and left to rot. They ARE being eaten. It's a way to keep your animals healthy and cut down on your feed budget.

10. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I have a bunch to my Mom to take to her work. I know that they will slow down during the winter, so I don't want to cut down on the number of hens.
    They will also be going into their second year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by