Anyone else/got ideas?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beachchickie, Aug 14, 2010.

1. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I have 3 BSL. One of them occasionally lays outside the nest box. She laid one on the floor of the coop and today she laid it on the concrete walkway in front of the coop. I am concerned the others may decide to eat the eggs. My theory is she is intimidated by the other hens and won't get in the next boxes if others are in there. Even when there is an open nest. Thoughts? Can I break the habit? They are the weirdest chickens. They do that throwing the straw over their backs thing.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Do you keep fake eggs or golf balls in the nests?? Chickens prefer to lay in a nest with and "egg" in it already, as that's supposed to be a sign of a safe nest. Have you sat in the coop to observe what goes on in there?? If not, you might try it. Maybe someone is being a bully regarding the nest boxes??? I'm not sure how to retrain, other than closing her in the coop for a day or two during "laying hours." [​IMG]

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL, that action of throwing straw over their back is a common nesting action and not weird at all. As for the hen laying in random places, I would pen her alone in a small pen with a nest box containing one egg, either real or artificial. Some folks use a golf ball. Get her used to laying in the nest and then turn her back with the others. Put a nest egg (or golf ball) in the regular nests also. No guarrentees, but just an educated recommendation.........Pop

4. beachchickie

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Good idea I may try that. I took the fake eggs out b/c I have them all laying now. Maybe I should put them back for awhile. She just started laying she may be skiddish if there is not an egg in the nest. But she did not mind laying out in the open. Crazy hen. All my hens are bullish except her and one RIR that is the runt and the youngest.

5. beachchickie

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Lollipop, do you live in all those areas? I have been thinking about the day when we can retire. Moving between 2 different places not sure how it would work. If you are doing that how do you get that to work with animals?

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've had some success locking them in the nest box when I catch them trying to lay on the floor. Not perfect success but some. Usually I leave them locked in until they lay the egg and then I let them out. This usually takes aboout 1/2 hour. However, I have left a hen locked in there for over 2 hours and she never did lay. I did catch the same hen the next day back in her normal spot on the floor. I locked her up again and she finally laid an egg. She has been using that nest box since then. Others have not been as difficult.

I am a firm believer in always leaving a fake egg in the nests. I'm convinced it makes a lot of difference.

7. beachchickie

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Fake eggs it is.

8. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:LOL, no I live in GA. I have a home in WPB, FL. where I grew up. The Asil, Brazilian, and Thai are gamefowl breeds that I dearly love. My geese are White Chinese and Emden. I can see how that could get confusing. Always been drawn to the exotic........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by