1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone else had this thought?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Livinwright Farm, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    Okay, so here I am, sitting in my living room thinking about how I would love to create a room specifically for incubating and brooding, where temperature and humidity would stay constant..... I started thinking, "what is an incubator anyways? Basically it is a compact steam sauna, right?!" My brain has devised this:

Build a steam sauna capable of keeping a constant temperature that has an adjustable humidity control knob outside the sauna. Find or buy some bread racks, like what the bakeries use to bake large batches of breads, muffins, cakes, etc. Set egg turners on each shelf of each rack, and have them all wired to a GFCI outlet that is controlled by a switch also outside the sauna. With an incubation room, who needs an incubator?

Just wondering if anyone else has given this some thought? or am I the first?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, that's kinda what hatcheries do..... Great big rooms into which they roll stacks of thousands of eggs in racks. Temperature and humidity controlled.

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    a few of us were considering turning an old airstream into a mobile incubator that way we could move it around and let everyone experience the fun...you could travel picking up eggs and depositing chicks....

4. Livinwright Farm

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    Quote:Well, I mean, I figured as much... but I mean for more on a home scale... Like, taking a useless closet and transforming it into a incubating sauna... that sort of thing.

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    My snakes have their own room & I have to keep the temp/humidity levels controlled, so I don't see why that wouldn't work for you. Just a tad more intricate than my snake room!

6. Livinwright Farm

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    Quote:[​IMG] That is too cool! and funny!

7. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Well, I mean, I figured as much... but I mean for more on a home scale... Like, taking a useless closet and transforming it into a incubating sauna... that sort of thing.

I LIKE the way you THINK!!!! lol

8. Livinwright Farm

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County

I LIKE the way you THINK!!!! lol

[​IMG]

9. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    That sounds like a great idea, but how many chicks are you planning on hatching? It could get crazy fast! Not that that's a bad thing, plus, you could sell a lot of chicks-----what kind are you breeding?

10. Tap Dancing Chickie

Tap Dancing Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    Perry County PA
    WOW !!! That sounds like a great idea, good luck with the project. Seeing thousands of eggs in racks is a dream of mine.[​IMG]

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by