Anyone else have a Cumfy Pets Chicken Ark?

jeanniejayne

Songster
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
mid-Delaware
Hi everyone. I am a newbie and have been voraciously reading and learning. I recently won an ebay auction for a Cumfy Pets Chicken/Rabbit Ark. it is built in China (WHAT ISN'T?) and marketed by a British company with an American partner. I got what I think was an amazing deal, though the shipping was $195.! Even so, overall cost was about $250., and it seems to be very good quality -- pet-safe solid hardwood/ treated, hardware wire, etc. I see they have come out with an improved version with added ventilation and a tray under the roosts. My husband and I put it together in under 2 hours ( we are experienced Ikea builders!). Here is a link to an ebay auction of the version I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chicken-coop-He...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

I am planning to get 2-4 hens. I would like heavy breeds such as Orpingtons/ Australorp, so will likely get 3. Have not decided whether to wait til Spring and get chicks from feed store, try hatching, or go to local auction/Craig's list and buy pullets or young birds. Meanwhile I will read and plan. This coop has two huge nest areas, and I was wondering if putting a small waterer in one wouldn't be a better use of space. Also will add more ventilation. We plan to add wheels as well, secure it to the ground somehow to deter diggers, and move it every day or two to a new space, probably within our 6" wooden privacy fence in the large backyard. Allow them out when we are home and outdoors once the weather is warm.

Comments and ideas very welcome. This site has been really helpful! Thanks to all.

JeannieJayne in mid-Delaware

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear you had good luck with them! I was looking at their auctions also......the prices seemed really good. I don't expect my husband would have the time (or inclination) to build me a coop, and I am not so handy myself, but we are always putting together furniture and such.

The link didn't work for me....which one was it? I am having a hard time converting the metric to feet (old dog who can't seem to learn new tricks). There are several I like, I just can't figure out how big they actually are.

Quote:
Did you receive it yet?? I was totally looking at that thing for my Cochins...
Is it nice or kind of junky?? I mean I know it was inexpensive, but so was my rabbit hutch and it was really good quality, sooo.

and:
welcome-byc.gif

and I LOVE Orpingtons!!!

Christina

That coop looks great to me! I like your idea of using a surplus nestbox (I've only got one extra large nest with 4 hens
smile.png
) as space for water.

Australorps are a favorite and a little flock of Orpington/Ameraucanas years ago was probably my most peaceful group. However, I have 1 question, JeannieJayne in mid-Delaware:

Shouldn't you be considering Delawares
wink.png
?

Steve

Thanks so much for the welcome! That really touched my heart. I re-posted that link, and it works for me. Please ry again. It is # model 0047 -- the squared -off looking one they advert. as being for 2-4 large hens or 6-7 bantams, or for rabbits. I decided on this one when my husband got wierd about my taking part of a shed, after initially assenting. I was going to use the rear 3 feet by 8 feet of the shed, partitioned off, but he balked when I said I needed a full-length door and a path to it through the shed, so I could drag my muck bucket back to clean. Go figure. He is a lovely and generous man, but not when it comes to his shed! I had looked forward to a place to hang out and get away from his 2 teenage sons, but I guess a lawn chair next to the " ark" will have to do!

It is 6 ft long by 2.5 ft wide by 3.5 feet high, and weighs 70 lbs, so not impossible to move, although not by yourself. It was very easy to put together and I am very happy with the quality. I would estimagte inside it is 4 sq feet of floor space and 2.5 feet high. The nest boxes are out the outside, and a cu. ft each. I worry a bit that they may chose to roost on the ledge to the nest box.
I only paid $56. for it (a very lucky bid -- before Xmas so I think people were preoccupied, but it cost $195 to ship to Delaware! Shipping costs more or less depending on how far from NYC you are. It was gong to cost $50 to pick up at their dock, and 6 hours round trip, so I was happy to pay. That this came from China to England and finally to me is a kick. The original designs were built by the owner's father in their garden, and he was so successful seling in Britain on E=bay they got up to 600 orders a month -- whereupon poor Dad could no longer cope, and they found a builder in China. Except for the lack of ventilation it seems to be a decent design. But what do I know? I am sure once I have some birds I may find other problems. I plan to put down something impervious like linoleum under the roosts, and to make the roosts, which are 2 x 4's turned on the narrow sides, wider across so that they can have feet flat on them.

Any other advice or opinions/observations welcome!

JJ

Quote:
Does it seem to have any thickness to it as far as insulated for warmth. Is there an area where I could hang a heating lamp?
I know you are in Delaware, so you know about cold....

Thanks for the info. I wish you best of luck on it. Also, this is a great place to be to learn about chickens!!
Christina

I haven't fully read everyone elses replies yet..But this came off that page

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ:
ARRIVES IN THE USA APPROX 20TH SEPT.very limited amount available.
All deliveries are sent FEDEX ground allow 7/10 days for delivery FROM PAYMENT CLEARANCE. We email on the day of despatch it is your responsibility to make sure your delivery address has a person available to recieve your package.

------------September??? thats a long wait..Maybe a typo?

(edited to add..That's gotta be September of last year..)

Last edited:
Mine took about two weeks to get to me. so I think that is a misprint.

One could always contact Albany Pets, the US broker, and ask if they are on the ground in the US or coming "across the pond". Not too far back they were trying hard to get rid of a lot of excess inventory. I imagine the recession is hurting them, too.

As for a place to hang a bulb for heat -- there is no insultation -- it is about 1" thick solid semi-hardwood. But there is what I would think is adequate headspace to hang a bulb.

I am thinking, though, that unless it is very windy and below zero, a couple of large hens would generate enough heat to be safe and confortable. I would say inside coop area is only 8-10 cu ft.

From what I am reading from the folks with all the snow, the hens are happier a bit on teh cool side than they are too hot.

I figured if it got really bitter we would put them on the back porch, which is solid on 2 sides, or in the unheated garage.

Many of us would consider those 4 square feet as too small for more than 1 bird but what you have going for you is that it has a covered pen AND the space under the coop is partially enclosed.

I can see the birds spending a lot of time outdoors thru the day even in bad weather. Depending on wild birds, etc., it may be a good location for feed & water.

Moving the ark daily would be a real good idea. The hens will quickly kill any grass in that small of a pen area and one advantage of an ark is that it is portable.

Finally, ventilation will be critically important at all times of the year. That small of a coop will need fresh air and opening it to cool in the Summer will be very important for their comfort. Baffles may be necessary to slow the movement of air, however. Baffles could be on the outside of the walls.

You may need 2 in short order . . . lawn chair with umbrella between
wink.png

Steve

Back
Top Bottom