Anyone else have a hen that can't get along with any other chicken (hen or rooster)?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Arztwolf, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Arztwolf

Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    My little OEGB, Amoeba, is the most aggressive and anti-social chicken I have ever met! It does not matter if the chicken is bigger/smaller, older/younger, hen/roo, she will go after it with a vengeance. I recently bought a OEGB mix hen that came from the same place as her. That lasted a grand total of 4 days. The hen is now living with the Favorelles.

Is it just her breed or what?

2. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Yes, some OEBG are known to be aggressive to flock mates. I had a barred plymouth rock hen that was anti-social and aggressive. She was culled for the good of the flock.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    All of my OEGBs have been little sweeties (unless they're broody, but even my Silkies turn into little terrors when they brood).

I suspect it has more to do with breeding practices. Especially since you picked up another aggressive bird from the same place. I firmly believe that disposition can be bred for. I never breed aggressive birds, male or female, and I don't have aggressive birds.

4. Arztwolf

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    The other one isn't aggressive at all, it was the first one who was attacking her.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Well, how did you introduce them? Her behavior may not be that outrageous, she may have just been defending her territory against an "intruder".

6. Arztwolf

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas

I started them out in two separate pens 10 feet apart, then moved them closer each day. While in the pens I'd let one out, let it roam freely for a fewbhours, then put that one away and did the same with the other. The fourth day is when I let them loose together and the aggressive one attacked the other.

7. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    4 days may not have been enough time. I separate for a minimum of 2 weeks (after the new bird is quarantined for a little over a month).

8. zabrielle23

zabrielle23 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2015
    tylertown, ms
    I have a Rhode Island Red her name is Candice. She is a pain in the behind. The first day I got her she broke out and lived in the woods for about three months until I tricked her in the cage. Then I got new hens kept them separate for 2 weeks to a month. She wanted to fight every hen I had. It didn't matter how old or young they were or gentle. That got her 6 months of Isolation. That must have done something to her because we got more hens and did n not introduce them to her. She is in a separate cage with two of the hens she use to fight. THey have an UNDERSTANDING that she is the bully and to stay away. they are okay right now however she will fight my new hens though the fence. They keep their distance from her but that is how we solved our problem. She will probably be the first hen to go because she is not laying eggs right now. I believe she is molting but the clock is ticking and the oven is heating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by