Anyone else have a suprising breed of LGD?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by feather and mountain man, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    We have a miniature american eskimo or spitz who is a great LGD. Anyone else have a breed of dog that would not normally be considered an LGD?

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    LGD? what does that stand for? [​IMG]

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:Livestock guardian dog

4. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:If I remember correctly [​IMG] I think it stands for Livestock Guard Dog, or something close to that.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  5. feather and mountain man

Jan 17, 2010
    Yes Livestock Guard Dog. A breed of dog bred to guard all types of animals.

http://www.lgd.org/

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  6. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    In that case yes I do her names Honey she's a Lhasa Apso she spends all day by her chickens before we had her we lost a few chicks and ducklings to either rats or magpies but she chases everything away for us now , when we hatch ducklings she lets them follow her around and cuddle up to her in the sun.
    [​IMG]
    We also have a big white tom cat who chases foxes at night [​IMG]

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    we kept all breeds of dogs from daschund to rotties... and they all have 1 job here, to look after the property and anything that belongs in it....

Currently we have 2 pitbull x bull terrier and 1 bull terrier...

[​IMG]

8. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have a lab X that is most likely mixed with golden retriever, hound, and only god knows what else and he does that. He will lay down in the coops and just let everyone run all over him lol. Along with him I have a Pomhuahua, 2 doxys(ones a pup learning not to chase the birds), 2 chiweenies, a chi, and a chi X that are all bird safe & guard my birds. Outta all my dogs I only have 2 I dont trust lol.

9. feather and mountain man

Jan 17, 2010
    my mini eski Ghost
    [​IMG]

10. seabreeze

seabreeze Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Scio, OR
    I have several Tibetan Mastiffs that are GREAT poultry guardians, one of my best males (finished AKC champion as well) watches the skies for predators and though the breed is NOT a herding breed, he walks towards the free ranging birds and they sort of group and walk back towards the coop. Then he goes for the other half the birds that didn't go in. He is absolutely the best! A half sister of his (same sire, different dam) is a bona fide fox killer, she doesn't ravage the fox, just one massive bite over the shoulders, puncturing the lungs, maybe the heart and she leaves it.

Some of my younger girls have very high prey drive and are NOT good around the birds! Horses, goats, cattle, no problem but the birds are too tempting to them so if you choose a LGD, make sure your breeder has done some temperament testing as to its reactions to birds, i.e., low or high prey drive etc.,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by