Anyone else have hatching eggs coming the first week of March? :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by noahsmom, Feb 5, 2013.

1. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Just wondering if anyone else has Hatching eggs coming the first week of March? If you do, please give more info and where you go them? :) I have RIR's and Silkies coming and hoping I'll have some pals to get through this (first time) scary process with!

2. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'm setting this evening and some more later this week. So I'll hatch with you.

I have a Little Giant with fan and turner.

I'll be setting some meaty eggs for a local order and some for me.

I will also set some Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. They seem to have just started laying their eggs are still small but when I ordered them last year the eggs from the breeder were kinda small. I hope they get bigger with alittle more time but I can't wait to have babies so I'll be setting these and if they get bigger I'll set more.

I also will be setting some easter eggers. I have a splash girl that I can't wait to see what the babies will look like. Worse come to worse, they should be blue if my black orphington is the father. But now that I have 3 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, I'm hoping for some blue laced girls that lay a blue egg. That would rock. But time will tell. On the chicken calculator there doesn't seem to be the kind of splash I have.

My hubby will kill me when I fill the brooders Again! LOL. Hopefully some of the locals will want the chicks I don't. So far have been able to get rid of them fairly easily.

3. noahsmom

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Great! I have a Hovabator 1588 with auto turner on the the way now! This will be my first time doing anything like this, so I think I will need some support. I work 3days a week M-W so I'm so nervous about leaving them for those 3days, I know most work, but I'm just an over worrier I suppose. I know how you feel, mine doesn't understand why we just don't take a drive to Tractor supply and pick up some chicks lol He was worried when I told him I have 24eggs coming. But with most odds all 24 will more than likely not survive and I believe we can easily find homes for the ones we don't want locally. Especially being of better quality, then just the average production birds. I have a selling point already! [​IMG]
    I've asked both breeders if they could send monday or tuesday of the first week of march (on my notes to them) so I can hopefully have a few days to make sure the bator is doing what it's supposed to be doing. I'll of course have it going steady a few days before hand though. Very exciting and only 4weeks away! :)

I love the easter egger eggs! Do these chickens lay as good as say RIR's? I might have to slip a few of those in my group eventually. Right now we are just going to be doing a 10x10x6 run, so around 10 will be my limit. Going to be hard picking which ones I will keep, I become so easily attached. Sort of sad their Coop is larger than their run lol it's an 11x12....Does that mean maybe I can keep a few more and get away with it!? lol

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  4. noahsmom

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    I received my HB Genesis with auto egg turner today!!! [​IMG]
    I've already got it set up in the spare bedroom and watching it. The whole spare bedroom is going to be dedicated to the eggs/chicks until they are ready to go out to the barn-coop/run. I'm working on setting it up now and getting all the necessary supplies now for the brooder. We will keep this door closed to our main living area at all times and I can just wipe down every other day to help with the dust problems. We have hard wood floors so this makes me feel a little better about the dust and keeping it cleaned up.

I hope their will be some more to join in on the excitement with me the first week or so of March! I sent off the money yesterday to purchase the eggs, now I'm just trying to buy what I need to keep the waiting off my mind.... [​IMG]

I've never seen my 5year old so excited! He can't wait to get the eggs and I know this is going to be a grueling wait for him to but I think will be such a great experience for him. Hopefully some of the chickens will be friendly enough that he can spend time with them as he pleases, [​IMG] he loves animals like his momma and has so much respect and love for them. I've already discussed with him about the incubator and not only is this "styrofoam" incubator fragile but the eggs and the chicks are oh so fragile to.
    Okay, enough of my ramblings...Off to get some done in the coop! This is our first NICE day in weeks, the high is 52 and I'm so happy!!!

5. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    Would you like a third?
    I loaded my LG still air yesterday, (doing things the easy way isn't my style, goes to smoothly).

6. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Of course you can join. The more the merrier.

7. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL

While I have something similar. I hope you realize if you brood indoor that room is going to be absolutely filthy. They release dander when they get new feathers. You might want to do a search and read some of the threads. Of course if someone in your family has allergies to dander you'll need to take that into consideration.

8. OR4-hmom

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    My family wouldn't know what to do if I ever got rid of all the chicken dust in the laundry room. How can such small critters make such a mess. I tell myself they are learning to do laundry, I think it really does make them calmer later on. They learn about noises, dogs, large things hovering over them, etc. Besides it's cold outside and I don't want to go out to see them.

9. noahsmom

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Of course!! :) What kind of hatching eggs are you planning to incubate? :)

I understand this, I will look up more threads as you have said to make sure I'm fully aware. We have all lived with birds and never had any trouble. At one time I had over 6 birds in my home. Besides this is only 4-8weeks out of our lives, I believe as long as we clean with things like water/vinegar daily/every other day we will be fine, I am fanatical about my floors and we even do monthly sometimes bi-monthly wall wipe downs since we all do suffer from some allergies so the work of cleaning trying to help the dust won't be a problem. And hey I won't know until I try.

10. OR4-hmom

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    To answer your question noahsmom, I put 31 BLRW and 2 partridge rock bantam in the incubator.

I wasn't going to hatch anything for a few weeks but I really want baby partridges. I get so few from her and I hate to crack them to check fertility, so I fired up the LG again.

The BLR's have been sitting on my dining room table for quite awhile but I had the room so I put them in with the newer eggs that were in my unheated canning kitchen. We'll see what happens. Maybe I'll get another splash like the one in my avatar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by