1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone else have high house humidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lil'ChickFarm, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    My house humidity is almost 50 on the second floor and 60 on the first floor.
    I checked my hydrometer by putting it outside and it was 70 and the weather on my IPAD states that is what it is.
    So if I need to keep my chicks at low humidity to incubate, how can I?
    Aside from buying a dehumidifier which I am not going to do, too expensive and my house is large.
    I have read over and over how people use 35 percent for day 1-18.
    Welllllllllllllllllll I can't. I wonder if this is why I lost my last hatch.
    OH and how do you incubate in the summer? Often the humidity then is 80 percent. :)

I am doing the happy dance today, I got a Brinsea 20 yesterday. [​IMG]Well it is ordered and will be here the end of the month probably.
    I am expecting SUCCESS NOW! But, this humidity thing is concerning me.

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

The only thing you can do is to try the first two and a half weeks with no added humidity. Keep records of the humidity in the bator three or four times a day noting the time, house humidity, and outside weather. If your bator is forced air, you may have a lower RH than you think. There are people who keep the RH higher than 35% throughout the hatch and do well. A broody's eggs are against her skin and it is really moist there....... good luck!

3. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    AHHH I bet that would make a difference. My still air ones could not change it much, but the Brinsea just might.
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by