Anyone else have this problem?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rmh0508, Feb 18, 2012.

1. rmh0508

rmh0508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    I foster animals for our local pet rescue as well as doing some rescuing of my own. Unfortunately due to rescuing these animal we have added to or own # of pets lol. I took in a yr old yellow Lab 2 weeks ago and before I could even get Him neuter apt made my SO decides he wants to keep the dog. I now just have to keep reminding myself that its usually me who does this and he should at least get one pet to call his own right? So this is Buck our newest addition. He gets along with the cats and dogs great, and ignores the horses. The first day we had a little problem with the chickens but I took care of that right away now he completely ignores them [​IMG]. He is also doing well learning his obedience and how to act in public, we did our first TSC outing with him on Friday and he did a lot better then I thought he would!
    Here's Buck
    [​IMG]

2. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    He's a lovely boy! Just remind yourself that if your house is full, you can't keep helping more. It's wonderful when animals find homes, but if all the fosters get full, there is no where to put them!

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Buck is beautiful and I love his name! Sometimes it takes months to find the right home for an animal. I don't mind because I love getting to know the animals. And when the perfect home shows up for an animal I don't have a problem letting them go.
    In the past I have done this mainly with horses or goats. You get a skinny unkept horse and bring back the weight slowly and lots of grooming and you have a beautiful horse again that people want. Sometimes this takes months. I'm not in a hurry to place an animal....it's weird how the right person for the animal just shows up and they click. The same with goats, cats, dogs.
    You just can't get swamped with too many animals.
    It sounds like that dog clicked with him. It's so nice of you to take it in. He can be your rescue ambasador. Before my great big rescue pot bellied got too old he was the official greeter here. Anytime a car pulled up the drive he would run up to it to see who it was! Lol...some peole were afraid to open their car door.

4. rmh0508

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    I am usually in no hurry to place the rescues. I like to get too know them too. I take them out and socialize them as much as possible, get them fixed, and shots UTD and wormed. My resue horses don't leave until they have had a vet check, coggins, teeth floated if neccesary, have been wormed and had their feet done. I have 2 extra horses right now too lol. And it seems like every time I get down to MY 3 cats the local rescue group will call for a foster or someone needing to find a home for one will call.
    I would like to place these 2 horses soon as it seems I get a call at least once a week lately. I wish their were more good homes out there and that I had a bigger place and more funds :) I keep telling the other half if I ever win the lottery I am going to buy the 600 acre farm down the road (hey, I can dream right?) and turn it into a rescue for dogs, cats horses and whatever else needs a home. I have big plans for this place should I ever win lol...

5. Skyesrocket

Mar 20, 2008
    Good Luck on winning the lottery! It can happen. Might as well be you.
    I see your in Michigan. I'm in Ohio. Sorry but if I ever win the lottery I will be out of here and headed to a warmer climate in a heart beat! [​IMG]

6. rmh0508

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    Well at least in Ohio you might get a little warmer weather then us. We are in the UP so its usually pretty cold here. Although this winter has been a mild one.

7. Skyesrocket

Mar 20, 2008
    Yes it has. EVERY winter should be like this! I live in the snow belt by Lake Erie. We know that when the forecasters are calling for 2" in Cleveland we will get 2 foot dumped on us. Last year our first heavy snow came in November and we didn't see grass until spring.
    This year has been a WONDERFUL break from all of that. Plus I have been able to keep the dog poop picked up. Spring thaw around here usually isn't a pretty sight...lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by