anyone else have trouble keeping the shavings IN the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sheeshshe, Oct 26, 2009.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    My chickens keep pushing all the shavings out into the run. there are barely any shavings in there anymore and I'm trying to do the deep litter method but it'll never be deep! They keep shoving them out into the run! grr!!!

Anyone else have this issue? what did you do to remedy it? would it work to put a little ledge in front of the run door? or are they going to shove them out and over the ledge anyways?

2. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    I was just thinking that I need to add a threshold to my pop-door because of the same problem. I don't know how much it will help... someone was in there digging around and just chucking the chips out the door this morning!

3. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    I just had my DH put thresholds up on the people door and the popdoor to keep the liter in. If you're doing the DLM you may want to consider a 6" - 8" threshold (piece of wood across the doorway) to keep the liter in. Just remember, the chickens still need enough room to get out the popdoor. we only put a 3" high threshold at the popdoor because we wanted to make sure they could still fit out the door.

4. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    I had to build a threshold around my pop door. If you look closely you also can see the board across the base of the people door for the same purpose. Both are screwed in so that I can remove them easily for a whole house cleaning.
    [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    In a perfect world you would have cut your pophole so the sill is 12-18" above the coop floor (depending how deep your beddng usually is) [​IMG]

In the REAL world <g>, add an 8-12" high sill (can be a piece o' plywood or lumber attached across the gap, does not need to be fancy) and then cut your pophole higher if necessary to compensate. Ta da, very few shavings will get out [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    hmmmmm. I'll try the treshold but it sure seems like they're getting more shavings out than just traveling with them as they run in and out ya know? seems like they are purposely pushing out the shavings! there are more shavings in the run than the actual coop at this point!

7. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    we put up a 2x12 so it holds back the shavings in the big human door and their little pop door.. it works to hold back the shavings for deep litter method

8. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Quote:You're exactly right. Same thing for the people door. This is one of those things that few of us novice builders plan for when we're already confused about the basic construction.

9. lovemychicns

lovemychicns Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    Quote:Hi,

Do you happen to have a pic of how you installed the 2x12. I put a small piece by the poop door but I know I will need a higher piece just like you for deep liter. A pic would be very helpful.

Karen

10. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    for the people door you have to step over it and the same for the pop door.. the chicks jump on it then out their door. it is just nailed to the wall and then run across the opening and nailed again on the other side to keep it in place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by