Anyone else having babies shipped from Meyer Hatchery today?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by steiggy, Apr 29, 2019.

1. steiggy

steiggy Songster

Sep 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I just noticed my shipping label was created! No tracking info yet, but I'm SO excited. This is my first time ordering through the mail, so I'm a little nervous, too. I have a blue cochin, a blue splash marans, a golden cuckoo marans, and a jubilee orpington showing up between tomorrow and Thursday. I can't wait!

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Yes. The replacements for the three that died from last weeks shipment have left the facility and I, too, do not have a tracking number yet.

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  3. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    No chicks coming in today, but I have an order coming on the 28th that I can't wait for - blue, lavender, and buff Orpingtons. :D

steiggy likes this.
  4. steiggy

steiggy Songster

Sep 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    It appears mine are still in Cleveland. Hoping the postal system is just being slow about updating!

5. DobieLover

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    They don't bother to update!
    When I got my chicks last week, they arrived Wednesday at 1:30 pm. I got a text message from the USPS system Wednesday around 5:00 pm that I should expect my "package" to arrive by Thursday morning! Okay.

Now the tracking information on the replacement chicks state they will arrive today by 3:00. That will be one day shipping. I truly hope so but don't really believe it.

BirdsBeesTrees and 123RedBeard like this.
  6. steiggy

steiggy Songster

Sep 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Crossing my fingers for you that they arrive today! I'm in northern Wisconsin so mine have a bit further to go. Currently it says they'll arrive tomorrow by 3pm. I did call the post office and the lady there has chickens herself, so she will be watching for them and said she'll call the minute she hears a peep.

This is nerve wracking!

123RedBeard and DobieLover like this.
  7. DobieLover

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Yes. Yes it is!
    I go as far as to crank the heat up in the car on the drive to the PO to pick them up to have it nice and warm for them.
    I also make a mash out of their starter feed and put about 1 ml of Poultry nutri-drench in the mash and mix it up well for them. Electrolytes in the water and show them the waterer when they get there.
    They should recover from the shipping stress relatively quickly.
    How are you brooding them? MHP or lamp? Where are you brooding them?
    I HIGHLY recommend making a little "baby bottle" like this. It keeps their water nice and clean and the brooder much drier.
    IMG_20190424_173615885.jpg

123RedBeard likes this.
  8. steiggy

steiggy Songster

Sep 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I will be doing the same!

I just got notification that the tracking updated, and they are 45 minutes away. I called the post office and they said the chicks will be on the 1:00pm truck! Wasn't expecting that at all!

I have nutridrench and electrolytes ready. I'll be using the same brooder I used for my last batch (that were given to me) and a heat lamp with a dimmer switch to keep the temp optimal. It'll be kept in my heated, attached garage.

I like the baby bottle idea! I might have to give that a try! I was going to reuse the waterer I used with my last chicks but it did get dirty fast.

Any update on yours?

123RedBeard and DobieLover like this.
  9. DobieLover

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    They'll be in on the 1:30 truck. Leaving work early!!

123RedBeard likes this.
  10. steiggy

steiggy Songster

Sep 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    How's your babies?!

I had an order of 18, combined with 2 co-workers. All 18 are healthy and happy thus far! I'm very much in love with my little blue cochin!

DobieLover likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: