Anyone else in the storms yesterday in GA or SC???

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Kbagwell1, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    We got it pretty bad. Lost power about 9:15 last night...it came back on around 6:30 this morning. We are in Augusta, GA....tornadoes were reported in Grovetown and in Hephzibah.

Damage that was done.....2 coops were collapsed....our "old" brooder (just moved chicks to new brooder 2 days ago) was flipped over. And that thing was HEAVY! There were reports of 67 mile per hour winds and 76,000 people in the area without power! Main things were trees down, limbs everywhere, power lines down, our yards are all messed up and have stuff that has blown everywhere! But everyone is OK!

We ended up leaving and driving up to a more open area...we have tons of trees around our house that it really worried us!

We didn't loose any chickens to the storm except for 3 chicks in the outdoor brooder that got too cold...I think the incubators are ok (we covered them with blankets immediately), and the chicks that were hatching in the hatcher all survived.

We did loose one roo last night though not to the storm!!! We had a fox grab him up...[​IMG]

Needless to say.....this sucks! Hubby and father in law are going to be repairing catches today...and we are supposed to be leaving tomorrow morning to head to the lake for the weekend!!! [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We had a major toad strangler! I'm so glad we live on a mountain and the property drains really well because I think we got about 3" in 10 minutes, lots of lightening and thunder, rained all night (we needed it-only the second rain in six weeks).

3. char259

char259 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    We got the wind, lighting and thunder and just over 3 tenth of rain (which we desperately needed) Lots of trees down and one of our merchants lost his roof. My place came through just fine - no damage and no loss of power.

I'm south of you in Waynesboro.

4. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Quote:You got lucky!! We are about 20 mins from Waynesboro and it left us and headed your way....must have slacked off some before it reached you! Glad your ok!

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    We got it in 2 waves in the middle of the night, we're in Hollywood, SC, right near the coast. The wind was what mostly got my attention, it was blowing like a gale out there. We didn't get much rain, just wind, thunder and lightning. The power was flickering a lot, but no long outages.

Lots of big trees here, right over the house. They always make me nervous, especially since an 80+ foot oak that was killed by lightning years ago is looming over the power lines, the house and the chickens! Oh, we have a fox hanging around, too. No free ranging now!

Sorry you had such a hard time of it. I do think we're in for an "interesting" summer. [​IMG]

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Got it her in N FL- not as bad, we had gust I had allready moved the very young and weak birds inside...

Spoiled rotten stinkers- my property for once is water logged... in the middle of this stupid drought that's a blessing by itself...

the fire danger here as of three days ago was "Don't even think about farting" now its... just 'Extreme' (red on a blue-green-yellow-orange-red scale)

We didn't lose power either storm (Mondays or Wednesdays) but it did flicker- neary lost five birsd the first time the brooder cage is not as protected as I thought when it's raining sideways and up!

7. nop169

nop169 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    We had three waves of drenching sheet rain mixed with some small hail & pretty intense gusts of wind. Started about 6:30 pm when I had just arrived home from work & was out feeding. My 12 yo DD was helping me catch a couple of rams for this morning delivery when the bottom fell out around 7:15 (2nd wave) we (DD, me & the rams!) were soaked within 2 minutes and the burst of rolling thunder caused the 2 rams to go crazy - so picture this.... me with a 75 lb ram in each hand (holding one horn on each) rams on their back legs twisting & turning trying to flee - BUCKETS of rain falling & I was turning round & round by force of the rams like a windmill! Finally got them on the trailer & looked at SOAKED DD who looked me in the eye & laughed so hard she couldn't stand! Of course I also saw the humor in the situation so since we were already soaked we hung onto the trailer & laughed & laughed. Then we hoped in the truck & drove to the house. After this 2nd wave it calmed down around 9:30 but a 3rd wave hit around 10:15. At 12;15 i FELL ASLEEP LISTENING TO LONG LOW RUMBLING of thunder but the wind had died down & it was barely raining. This morning a few small limbs, leaves & sand on the driveway but no downed trees or major damage. The muscovies were all lined up in the sun with wings half spread to dry. The sheep & goats were out in the pasture & the donkeys & horses went out of their stalls with no problems. The rams on the trailer were a little damp where the rain blew in & mad about being on the trailer but calmed down wonderfully once delivered & released. I am thankfull for the rain but hope the severe wind & stroms & hail will abate for awhile!

Oh yeah I am in Oconee County SC

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  8. char259

char259 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    Quote:You got lucky!! We are about 20 mins from Waynesboro and it left us and headed your way....must have slacked off some before it reached you! Glad your ok!

I think the worst of it passed just north of us as the business who lost their roof is on the north side of Waynesboro and we are more on the east side.

9. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    We had a wild storm last night here in S. GA. We were grocery shopping, and the storm hit just as we were checking out. It was so fun trying to load groceries with lightning flashing all around us. It hailed like crazy, and at one point, sounded like someone was throwing massive amounts of gravel at ds' car. There was hail all over the road as well. I haven't seen such a storm in a good while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by