Anyone else interested in Ceramics/Pottery/Wheel Throwing?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Chiko, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Chiko

Chiko Songster

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    I'm in a 1 semester beginning clay class. (Next semester I'll be in the advanced clay class) I was just wondering if any other byc members make things with clay. I'll post pictures of my work when somebody else posts their work. [​IMG]

2. torrelee

torrelee Songster

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    I took a semester in college (back in they day...) and LOVED it! My mom took all of my pieces and said I can't have them back until I stop moving, thats 15 more years before I can retire out of the coast guard. I think its just an excuse to keep them around!

3. Totalcolour

Totalcolour Songster

Ok, here's a few

This is a "name your poison" mug! (cone 6)
    [​IMG]

a little jewelry pot (cone 6)
    [​IMG]

and a luminary (porcelain)
    [​IMG]

and a salad plate (part of a dinner setting - cone 6)
    [​IMG]

mud is [​IMG] fun

4. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Songster

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    I've been playing with clay for about 8 years. Will post pictures soon.

5. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Songster

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Quote:Oops, forgot that I made the chick pitchers to the left (cone 6).

6. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Songster

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Ok.. so here's some of the stuff I made (TotalColour, I love your luminary!) Unless noted they are cone 6. As you'll see I both handbuild and throw on a wheel, and like to try lots of different styles. I love playing with clay ...hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Dinner Plates (I made them small intentionally 'cause I'm trying to diet -- the one is on a 'normal' size plate for comparison)
    [​IMG]

Some Vases/Pencil holders:
    [​IMG]

I call this a wall pocket, it's handbuilt you can put flowers (dry or fresh), or match sticks (hang next to a fireplace maybe) in it.
    [​IMG]

This is the penguin pitcher I made for my mom, very similiar to the Peep Pitchers you see to the left
    [​IMG]

The Frogs, I like to give these to new neices along with the 'frog prince' book and a stuffed frog:
    [​IMG]

This picture is kinda fuzzy, these are beads I made, they are low fire with majolica glazing
    [​IMG]

Some more majolica items:
    [​IMG]

And last, but not least, the most favorite thing I've ever made...my table lamp!!! My husband helped by making the wooden base
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  7. benjoycei

benjoycei Songster

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Awesome stuff! Pottery is addictive..been doing it about 8 years..still havent mastered throwing, mostly hand build.
    [​IMG]

8. benjoycei

benjoycei Songster

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Angelfish

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Been a lot of years, but there a kiln in my garage, a ton of molds and most are from the 60's to maybe 2005.

I just have a really bad brain and can't remember how to work the silly kiln. Maybe one of these days. I used to be pretty good on a wheel, but my hands cramp too much these days, I do have some cool molds though.

10. Chiko

Chiko Songster

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    [​IMG]

I'm embarrassed to post my work [​IMG] You guys's work is all so good [​IMG]

Good Job everyone!

I'm anxious to get back to school on monday so I can throw another vase. I think I watched enough youtube videos to figure out how to center much easier [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by