Anyone else like Brabanters??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rhodiegal, Aug 10, 2009.

1. rhodiegal

rhodiegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    I ordered an assortment of different types of birds from Ideal and was wondering if anyone else out there likes Brabanters. I am wishing I had ordered more because this little pullet is so docile. My daughters love her! The pic is 'Princess Leah' at about 2 months old. Now you cannot even see her face due to all of the feathering on her head.

[​IMG]

2. Lucky Ducky

Lucky Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Me, me, me!!! [​IMG] I plan on ordering cream brabanters this fall from Ideal. [​IMG]

3. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I do too! I sold my flock to Playswithfowl here on this forum. They are very cool birds.

4. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I don't know yet, but I have 6 in my brooder. They are rather flighty chicks, but I'm enjoying seeing their tops develop. [​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I love them! I tried to hatch them 2 times and it didnt work out for me! [​IMG] I want some! [​IMG]

6. rhodiegal

rhodiegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    It's funny you should mention them being flight chicks. The one we have was very flighty as a chick and suddenly just calmed down as she got older.

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I hatched out 8 cream brabanter chicks. They're now 3 weeks old, and what a hoot! When I walk in to check on them they swarm over to the fence to see who it is, then when I come towards them they all run away, then a few seconds later all come running back to see what I've brought them to eat. They are very interested in us though, always watching what's happening.

Those mohawks are so cute!

-Cindy in MA

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Did you guys had to cull them because of their Polish type hairdoes or are they all consisent?

Like my Spitzhaubens, I had to cull heavy because of their Polish heads or wrong mohawks.

9. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Yes, I'm very fond of them. [​IMG]

I started with 20 from Ideal this spring. I'll be keeping about 8 of those for breeding. Some do have the Polish 'do, and some are just plain lacking crest or beard, but most are reasonable quality. Of course I'll be improving on them over the generations to come!

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Cool! That is the way to start, doc!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by