Anyone else living without AC in the heat?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by calicokat, Aug 10, 2010.

1. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Just checking [​IMG]

We don't have AC in our farm house - we have a temporary pool we put up each summer and we jump in there to cool off. It's no good when we've had a string of hot sunny days, because the water heats up to bathwater temps and doesn't cool you off -- but most of the time it helps.

So, anyone else out there going w/o AC?? What tips do you have??

2. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Yep, no a/c here either.[​IMG] We have fans in a few windows and all the other windows open. Still gets like a oven on them 95+ days..

3. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    x

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  4. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    No AC here.Luckily they bricked this old farmhouse in the 60's.It has some shade but on the off side id very humid and we deal with a lot of moisture and mildew in some part's of the house.We basicaly have ceiling fan's in every room and have never had to deal with much heat summer.Winter is diFF.When it get's cold IT's COLD!That's when 'Abu" the ancient fire god" (antique wood furnace) is appeased by the wood god} Namely ME Then it can get pretty toasty even winter DH and daughter says tooooo hot!So far the house has hover around mid 70's even with 90+ degree temp's summer.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

No A/C here! [​IMG] It's hot, to be sure, but my house stays cooler than most old farm houses....I think someone said it had sawdust in the walls.

I just sit in front of a fan until the sun goes down a little and then bestir myself on chores.

Still..can't wait for fall weather. I can stand the cold....any and all of it. Heat I cannot bear! [​IMG]

6. friskebluegills

friskebluegills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    We don't have ac either. and unforunantly all of our windows downstairs are crank outs so there's no possibility of even getting a window one. we do have one in our bedroom though and it really helps. I'm actually glad that we don't because sometimes I think you can get to used to it and not want to go outside. that's what my parents are like anyways. don't get me wrong, we live in wisconsin, i know if we lived in Arizona or Florida or anywhere a lot warmer it would be a totally different situation. we just put fans in the windows and around the house. Plus we are surrounded by trees so it gives us a lot of shade. Good luck though

7. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    No a/c just 1 fan in the window but I LOVE the heat:)

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    No A/C here--we're fortunate to live on a hill where, even on these 90-degree days we get a nice breeze and it cools down at night. Guess you don't miss what you've never had. The worst summer cold I ever got was from going into A/C place when we were on the OTB one summer. Rather sweat in the heat than sit in a draft.

9. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    No a/c in our house or our vehicles.

10. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    No a/c @ our house. A couple of these days have been downright close to unbearable. I now have the cleanest basement ever! Very cool down there so did a lot of cleaning and recycling to Goodwill! Fans normally work fine as we have a small ranch style home that catches alot of the breeze.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by