Anyone else make The Dutch Henhouse?

Emilys3guppies

Songster
Jun 1, 2009
Toronto
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=34095

A
fellow BYC was kind enough to make his extensive plans available and I really like the design. Of course, the plans themselves are fantastic. I'm thinking of making a few small changes...a 2x4 for a roost instead of a 1x2.

Did anyone else make this coop? If so, was there anything else you would change about it to make it more functional than it already is, or to ease in building?

I'm excited to be getting the lumber and hardware for Christmas...woot!

Emily

I agree this is a very nice design. I haven't built one, but if I did, I would make the larger section on the front of the run the operating door. This would make it easier to clean out the run area.

I am making one right now!

all the construction and painting done, all that's left is the wiring and apron.

we built it ourselves, with our own measurements and what not

*it is a little taller, but i still have to bend over to get in and i am about 5'5"

*instead of having a sheet of plywood on the back, we are making that wire (we live in TX, more ventilation)

*all sides of the coop have drop down windows with hardware screen (again, for ventilation)

*we also moved the chicken ramp to the far side so i would have more room to walk and clean without having to jump over it.

Wonderful! Thanks for all the insight!

Luckily I have small children who will be cleaning it out...lol...so the height I think we will keep...especially because it's designed to utilize 4 sheets of plywood that are 4'x8'.

Good idea on the extra windows in the coop portion, and on moving the ramp over. I will definately do that. We will be insulating the indoor portion too, as we have cold winters here, but not too bad.

Are you framing yours in 1x2s like the plans say or with something bigger, Silkiechick?

Hi friends,

Love the design of the Dutch Henhouse, but wondering if anyone would be willing to share the detailed plans and materials list for it? I emailed Ken at the address listed on the Dutch Henhouse page, but haven't heard anything from him. Wondering if it's an old email address?

Send me an email if you'd be willing to share plans!

Dear Southsideclt,

Just noticed your post. I'm the Ken who is offering the Dutch henhouse plans. Sorry to hear you didn't get a response. The email address on our page is still correct but somehow we didn't receive your email. We always do our best to respond to every email the same day. We are definitely still offering the plans and can get them to you promptly in electronic format.

Nice to see all the great suggestions, too!

Best wishes,
Ken

Back
Top Bottom