Anyone else not go to doctors?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Glenmar, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Just wondered if there are others out there who do not go to doctors. I am 41. The only time I will go is if something is broken, or maybe pain.
    The last time was when I broke my ankle maybe 4 years ago. Before that, I can't remember.

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    How about preventive medicine? Do you know what your cholesterol is? Blood sugar? Blood pressure ? See what I mean? I think you should have basic labs checked because if needed, things can be altered by lifestyle changes or meds and reduce the chance of long term complications of things you may not even know you have. JMO

3. ams4776

ams4776 Chillin' With My Peeps

I havnt been to a reg doctor in a few years. My dh has to have a yearly physical with his job. I only go to the women doc to get my bc pills. It isnt the best idea to not go but i just forget and have so much else to take care of. Good luck and takr care of yourself

4. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    i dont go unless its a definite emergency. Im terrified of doctors. Also dont go to the dentist. Thats a definite No No for me.
    But i have gone to the doc within the past few months after being forced to make an appt. Got diagnosed with PCOS, got my meds, & wont go back.

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I knew a colleague at work who was in his fifties and hadn't been to the doctor in years. His eyesight was getting worse so he went to an optometrist who sent him to an opthamologist. The opthamologist tested his BP and called an ambulance. It was 240/some horrible number. We used to go on walks with him around the office building as he was trying to improve his health but he had waited so long that his kidneys were damaged so his wife, who had probably begged him to go for a checkup for years, had to give him one of hers.

6. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Quote:Actually yes. I work in a lab, so I can do my own lab work.

I get my blood pressure checked when I donate blood for the local blood bank. They check for anemia too, but of course I can also do that.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  7. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I do go to the dentist, because I want to keep my teeth.[​IMG]

I just don't see the point in paying a Dr. to tell me I am fine.

8. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I go once a year to get my scrip renewed. I don't care for most docs but he's okay. Looks really young. I call him Doogie Howser. LOL

9. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Quote:I only go to the doctor if I am sick. I don't go for "check ups"

10. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I would still go but I'm female and the doctor checks more than blood levels and bp.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by