1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone else NOT sleeping??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dixiedoodle, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I hate it when I can not sleep!

I started at 6 this morning, worked all day long. Took care of a 19month old, cleaned house, washed clothes, vacuumed, cooked dinner, played outside. Then I went shopping for a baby shower, came home, wrapped presents, made two large center pc, the corsage, 6 large bows, made three gal. of sugar water for my new hives, loaded the truck with everything I would need for the baby shower, washed up all the dishes and went to bed, I laid in bed for two hours--WIDE awake! Not once did I, so much as doze... Then I got up made my list for tomorrow, ironed a few things, and let the dogs out... Here I sit at three am....Not in the least sleepy!

Problem is, I need to be up and going by 6 am --I have to go to the farm to line up bee equipment, then go get my new nukes, go back to the farm and put them in the bee yard, be at the store at 11:30 to pick up balloons, back at the shower location @ noon to help set up, the shower is between 2-4 and I have to find time for a shower--somewhere in there...After the shower my dd will be here for me to take up her bridesmaid dress.. WHY ON earth can these people not measure and order the correct size.. They are always 6-10 inches to big.. It makes me think they just want the money to alter them!!!!! I need to finish painting my basement tomorrow night (after the dress is finished).

So why can I not sleep. I am tired, I have been busy all day--not laying around eating 'bon-bons' all day....Where's the justice in this????

So, tell me what do you do when you can't sleep??? Dixie

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Sounds like you aren't sleeping 'cause you have too much on your mind! geesh! With all that, I don't know how you find time to sleep!

When I can't sleep I sometimes hop in a hot shower or bath...water puts me to sleep. DH on the other hand wakes up in water, so I guess it depends on the person. Hot tea, particularly peppermint or other decaf teas work for me too. When all else fails...Unisom. [​IMG]

ETA: I am on the west coast so it is only a quarter after midnight here...not nearly as late (or early?) as you!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  3. ODS-n-ENS FARM

ODS-n-ENS FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    NH
    Its 3:20 am here. Wide awake. It seems when ever I have a list for the following day......................I can't sleep.[​IMG]

4. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    I hear ya........I've tried so many sleep meds , from natural to prescription...none have worked . They might for the first few days ...then taper off . You must have a mind like mine.......never shuts up even when you are physically exausted . " what would I do if I won the lottery , what are we doing tomorrow , how is my quilt going to turn out , how much money do we have , I need to fix fence as soon as the ground thaws.......ENDLESS !!!!!!!!!! If you find a cure , help me out !!! Then when you finally sleep......someone ends up calling to wake you up....stupid telemarketers . Not thier fault....well kind of . Just wanted to let ya know you're not the only one......I don't have kids....but I have 36 acres and tons of animals that depend on me .[​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Go to bed. Turn off lights. Close eyes. Stay til you have to get up.

You may not sleep but you will rest. Body much prefers quiet rest to online. It is not sleep but it is much closer to it than reading BYC.

6. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Sleep is never hard for me, it's getting up that's hard!
    But I've found that melatonin,diphenhydramine, or a nice, hot shower help a lot. Some people like chamomile tea.
    I'm up because this is my normal schedule. I work the late shift and have for 8 years. I LOVE not having to get up early, ever.

7. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mind will never shut up, but mind is what your body is, not what you are.

Never sweat the small stuff; it's all small stuff. You will never get out of here alive anyway.

8. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Quote:How do you shut it off ???!!!![​IMG]

9. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:And she is right about melatonin or diphenahydramine (Bendadryl is a brand name.) They do make you sleepy. IMO there are no prescription drugs that are any more effective, and these are not habit forming, which is why they are not prescription drugs. Chlorpheniramine will do the same thing. Chlorpheniramine and diphenahydramine are antihistamines, marketed for allergies. You need at least 8 hours to recover from the sleepiness, though. Varies with different people.

Benadryl is probably one of the most harmless drugs on the market.

10. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:How do you shut it off ???!!!![​IMG]

It's not about shutting it off. It's about going to the place that sees that there is something to shut off.

Who is it that wants to shut it off?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by