1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone else on Levothyroxine? *Just got my Armour thyroid, pg 8*

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by cjeanean, Jan 8, 2010.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    So I found out I have hypothyroidism, and I'm not quite sure what to expect. My doctor told me that it should help with weight loss, energy levels, and irregular menstruation (sorry to any guys reading this [​IMG]), but I've heard mixed stories when I did online searches on the medication. So far my energy levels have increased like none other, I don't have to sleep 14 hrs a day to feel rested. The weight, on the other hand, is a concern for me also. Some of the experiences I read talked about weight GAIN, not loss, and at this point I think I would die if I gained any more weight. Anyone have anything to share? I've been on it a tad bit over a month. Thanks!

Christina

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  2. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    I was on it till August. I took myself off. My TSH before it was 2.37. But he gave me meds since I had symptoms. It really helped the foggy headedness. But he was way overdosing me and had my TSH down to 0.022. I didn't lose any weight. I started having memory issues and decided I was done with the meds. So. 6 weeks later a different dr tests my TSH and freaks cause it is 5.87. Went to a endo 2 months later and it was down to 1.60. The foggy headedness has not come back and I feel great. The reason I believe my TSH is lower now is due to a few possible things. I had all my metal filling replaced and I started taking a supplement my moms dr recomended to her. It is Iodoral. It is iodine. Some people freak out about hypo people taking it. But some times people are hypo because of a lack of iodine. The amount if iodine in salt is the amour needed to prevent goiter butnot as much as most people need. I take 12.5mg of iodine a day along with my other supplements and I feel great.

If I had to return to thyroid meds I would insist on armour or another natural supplement that is what my mom is on and she has lost weight.

Good luck with whatever you do.

3. trulefty

trulefty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2009
    Magnolia, Ms
    I've been taking it for about two years. I'm a guy so I won't have the problems you do but......... I have a normal energy level now.... I sleep 7 hours every night and wake up refreshed. Weight gain has not been a problem but I haven't lost any either... My dose is .05 mg. My SL is a nurse and says lots of people take this and it's no big deal "so, don't worry about it"....

Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I'm taking .75mcg/day. Has anyone lost any weight while taking it? If so, how much were you taking and how long before you saw results? I would assume that would be the case, since it increases the metabolism, or at least that it would stop the weight gain. I don't feel bad or anything like Livinzoo said, I guess I'm just terrified that I'll end up even bigger than I already am. I pretty much have all the "classic" symptoms: weight gain, lack of energy, memory problems, etc, but once I started taking it I've noticed big changes in the last 2 areas. I know it's only been a month, but still. Thanks for the replies!

ETA: My TSH is 3.81

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I have been on it for 3 years now and I have to say I don't feel any better than I did before I was diagnosed. Still TATT, dry skin, brain fog etc. I am on 225mcg, levels been stable for 6 months. I have asked about Armor but only a handful of doctors in the UK are willing to prescribe it and my doc isn't one of them. With regards to the weight loss, unfortunately it is still something that you have to work at through healthy eating and exercise. Being on the meds just means that you will be able to lose weight again, it won't fall off like magic, Darn it!! [​IMG]

6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do some heavy research on these medications
    My girlfriends daughter (24 YO) was taking thyroid medication - I can't remember the name - She got a type of rare cancer - the Oncologist told her the only people she had seen with this type of cancer were the ones taking this certain thyroid medicine - That was three years ago - She is still fighting that cancer.

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Was just put on it 2 weeks ago, they found a tumor on my thyroid. Dont know why yet, still running test.

Hope I dont lose much weight, as i am 6ft 1 and weigh 190 lbs.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  8. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Could you let us know what medicine (which one) causes this cancer?

9. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have heard of this too; I am very leery of presciption drugs. I would try natural supplements first. We think the foods we eat gives us all the nutrients we need, and that is such a farce. Hope you feel better. I think I might try the Armour. I ) don't think I am foggy minded (don't ask DH [​IMG]) but I do have some of the other less serious issues.

10. nop169

nop169 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    I also take 75 mcg daily & have been taking it for a year & 4 mos. now. For me, many of my symptoms dissappeared relatively fast (most within 2 months). I am 41, male & had had issues with the "foggy headed", macular degenerative type issue, muscle ache, lethargy, nausea, sensitive to cold, dry skin, insomnia & "carpal tunnel" type hand pain & numbness. I also experienced seasonal depression & sleep deprivation depression. This was my life for 12 years until my family doctor thought to check thyroid. I only go to the doctor about every 3 years before being diagnosed so it took time & a new doctor to figure it out - my old dr wanted to treat me for depression - I wouldn't take anything.
    After 2 mos all but the carpal tunnel type symptoms were reduced or gone. I did struggle with nausea the first few weeks of taking the meds though. I also go through periods that my symptoms return & learned from my endo that generic versions can be up to 15% stronger or milder than synthroid - so I am starting the synthroid next month once my current 3 mos supply of levothyroxin is used up. Endo said only some people are sensitive to the generic fluxuation - I am one of them.
    Overall - I would not ever go back to my old life. I feel great & sleep well. My eyesite, attitude & depression issues have all been greatly reduced or totally resolved. I did gain weight - I am 5'11'' and did weigh 157lbs - I now weigh 176lbs & am stable at that weight with no change to my already active lifestyle. I wish my doctors had figured this out 10 years ago. Not being a hypochondriac & seldom going to the dr for more than a yearly physical - I simply thought I was normal & everyone felt the way I was except for my seasonal depression - which I blamed on the scars of a very bad childhood.
    Only other issue I have had is bouts of impotence - but my testostrone levels have dropped since taking the thyroid supplement.... they think I have a benign tumor on my pituitary gland that is causing it all & we are scheduled for a scan next month. Not an issue for you but for the guys out there taking levo. it may be.
    The biggest problem I have had is that once diagnosed & confirmed - my Dr only wants to give me the thyroid replacement therapy & ignore the other issues.... I had to push to get a reference to see the endo.... But finally the ball is rolling...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by