Anyone else order chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StevenW., Oct 25, 2011.

1. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I couldn't take it no more so I ordered some chicks from Ideal Poultry..! [​IMG]

There was an explanation behind it also... I have Eggs hatching soon and theres only 2 left.. No idea if 1 will hatch or if both will hatch, BUT we have a back-up plan just incase!

Why yes, I have issues..! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2011
  2. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Not since August, we ordered 36 from Cackle. Don't really know what I was thinking [​IMG] , I filled up the incubator last night. If they hatch I'll have chickens in the house all winter [​IMG].

3. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    The last chicks I had in the house were guinea keets which was in august and they were moved out in the middle of September.

Now its late october and I'm getting more chicks to put in the house.. [​IMG] Oh well.... Darn you chicken/duck/guinea math!

4. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:Yeah, mine went out then too, and I've had almost one month without chicks in the house. When do your chicks come in? My eggs are due to hatch Nov. 14th.

5. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Uhhhhh... There spose to ship out tomorrow! LOL [​IMG]

6. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    The brooder pen in the garage is being torn down and the chicklets (13wks old) are moving to the barn coop.

The brooder will be closed for the 2011 season. In our first year with fowl we raised 57 chicks, 15 keets and 15 turkeys from 1 day old. Our plan is to let our broody hens do the job God created them to do for 2012.

It has been fun, sweet, calming, frustrating, scary, entertaining, sad, and we can't wait for the next batch of tiny fuzzy butts next spring.

In the mean time we are looking forward to having our garage back for the car, especially since a snowy winter is predicted for our area.

Good thoughts and wishes for those of you who will continue through the winter with your tiny fuzzy butts. [​IMG]

7. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I love letting the broodies brood the chicks, but they never seem to be as calm as the chicks I raise in the brooder..

8. Lisa0318

Lisa0318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    LOL... I just placed my order for some 30 chicks from Ideal for they're bantam special of 99 cents each if u order 25 or more...they will ship tomorrow and i am very excited to see what we will get...

[​IMG]

9. TexasToucan

TexasToucan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    I have a broody hen who sat on the eggs for 23 days and nothing hatched (time to retire the old alpha rooster). Felt so bad for her that I ordered some chicks from Ideal to slip under her. Being a three hour drive away from the hatchery, I hope to receive them tomorrow a.m. Fortunately, they still had some breeds (or, really, egg colors) that I wanted.

10. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Hope ya'lls chicks get their safely! :eek:)

I forgot to say what I was ordering! I'm getting Buff-Laced Polish's. Just something interesting and fun to add! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by