Anyone else raise Saxony Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kelciesducks, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Kelciesducks

Kelciesducks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2012
    Does anyone else raise Saxony Ducks? Mine are 2 weeks old and I'm curious to see how old they'll be when they're full grown. Do you have any pics of them as well?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I have friends with Saxonies. They are gorgeous ducks and very pleasant personalities.

Guessing, because they are similar in size, my appleyards are adult size at 10 weeks, but continue to fill out and mature for nearly a full year. At 10 months, I suspect mine are as thick and heavy as they will get, but not certain.

3. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I have 6 I hatched out and I'm dying to know my male/female ratio. Mine are about 6 weeks-ish.

[​IMG]

4. Rosepath Garden

Rosepath Garden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I got a Saxony by accident it was shipped with the Anconas. she was the largest of the day old ducklings now she is the same size as my large drake. by far my calmest friendliest duck.
    I had to push her off my feet for my avatar photo.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  5. CrittersNPets

CrittersNPets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    W. of Salem, Oregon
    I have a pair from last year. My hen lays almost daily in all weather (no night lights). They seem very calm and I liked them so much I hatched a few and just picked up 5 more from holderreads today. I'm sold on them and find them very pretty. I vent sexed mine and agree that they were full grown at 10 weeks (pretty fair at 8 weeks). I think my hen started laying between 5 and 6 months of age. I think I have a picture of my 2 drakes and hen in my file. They were over 4 months before I could detect any drake head coloring.

6. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I have a trio of hens. They lay every day, with one skipping a day about once a week. I second Oregon Blues as far as growth rate. Mine are about ten months and I think they're finally done growing.

7. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    They're the only breed I have now! LOVE them! Mine are 10 months old now. The drakes are HUGE! Not sure where you guys are getting calm females from, mine are lunatics. Friendly, but they come running at me full speed ahead quacking their heads off. They're so funny. I have a big pile of eggs in the incubator, babies soon!

The hen on the back right of the photo talks A LOT. She's so pretty, but she never shuts up. The boy in the middle is Duke, he's my favorite, and the calmest. Earl on the left is a bit of a jerk but he's really afraid of my little Hamburg hen. She's maybe 3 pounds tops, and he runs from her.

[​IMG]

8. Kelciesducks

Kelciesducks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2012
    So in everyone's experience which are the louder ones.....Males or Females? I've got one that is a noisebox and I had just guessed that the males are the louder ones but I have no idea. They're 2 weeks old now and I have no idea how to sex them. I can't wait until they start getting their color in so I'll know for sure.

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Both ducks and drakes do a lot of chattering. The ducks have a very loud air horn quack that they blast out every now and again, but it isn't their everyday voice. The drakes don't have the loud volume, but they chatter just as much as the ducks.

10. lozzykozzy

lozzykozzy New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    hey, I am getting 2 saxony ducklings this week and want to know how big a crate should be to transport them together when they are fully grown. I was hoping to get some sort of dog crate but have absolutely no idea about how big it should be. it will only be used for shortish distances, about 40 minutes in the crate maximum at any one time.

thank you :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by