Anyone else Raising Chicks right now?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bleenie, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I've been playing with the brooder babies for the last hour and was wondering if anyone else is raising chicks right now? I had to bring all mine inside because of the nasty weather. They're a little crowded but seem quite happy.

9 Black 'Mystery chicks' (straight run)
    4 Buff Wyandotte pullets
    3 Barred Rocks pullets(maybe 1 suprise roo)
    2 Rhode Island Reds pullets
    1 Muscovy ducklet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Look in the corner of the first picture. One of the mystery chicks looks like it's kissing the BR! [​IMG]

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:ooh it does! I just noticed that, how cute! I have chicks hatching on Thursday [​IMG]

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I completely missed that! [​IMG] that BR is my suspected roo too.. already gettin sweet on the girls!!

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have three silkies in the mud room, one and a half week old.

Also I have four Golden Lakenvelders (5 weeks old) out in a tiny coop with two 100 watt bulbs, and a canvas tarp over their coop. It is WARM in there!! Even in the 18 degree temp.! No huddling or uncomfortable-looking chicks there!

After the silkies get to be about three weeks old, out they go to the coop under lights too! But not in this cold snap.

I keep picking them up and sitting next to the woodstove with them- they are snuggly! I usually don't hold chicks so much.

[​IMG]

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

That's where mine are, next to the wood stove all cozy in their cage [​IMG]

7. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Yes, I have a whole load of fuzzy butts running about, but of course I don't have to worry about cold weather here in Thailand. [​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, I hatched some Olive Eggers and Easter Eggers a little while ago, and, well, . . . We just got a freak winter storm (We almost never get freezing temps or snow) and lost power last night for over 10 hours.

Let's just say we lost 4 chicks and an entire incubator full of hatching eggs. [​IMG] [​IMG] Loving our utility district. [​IMG]

Otherwise, our chicks under broody hens especially are doing really well! Broody hens are always a plus . . . They allow chicks to learn free range dieting at an early stage, they all MUCH more cold hardy chicks, and they teach them valuable behaviors. Also, they don't require electricity. [​IMG]

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:That's three of us in WA state with chicks (me included). I'm so sorry for your loss.

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yup. Hatched out 8 buff silkies and 3 ameraucanas last Sunday. They will stay in the house until they are completely feathered out. Our temps are pretty mild, but I'm sure they will get nasty about the time I want to move the babies outside. [​IMG]

I have two hens sharing a pile of eggs between them. They should hatch this week. Fingers crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by