Anyone Else Raising RIR Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cheepcheep riri, Feb 21, 2015.

have you ever had RIR chicks?

This poll will close on Mar 12, 2023 at 6:59 PM.
  1. YES

15 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. NO

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. THEY WERE NICE

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. THEY WERE MEAN

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cheepcheep riri

cheepcheep riri Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Bandera,TX
    We just got 6 chicks from TSC last night and am so excited we have a couple already and 25 other breeds, anyone else getting these cute balls of fluff[​IMG]

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I'm hoping to but it might be a tight fit in the coop.

3. cheepcheep riri

Apr 16, 2014
    Bandera,TX
    They are awesome chickens!! Overall good personalities and egg production.

4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    about half of my flock at the moment are either RIRs or Production reds! They are really sweet!

5. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    I likely will,but they will be just RIR breed.Laat rir I had were aggressive,seems like it comes like that.

6. cheepcheep riri

Apr 16, 2014
    Bandera,TX
    Yes!! We had a RIR 3 years ago that was really mean....bute we have 9 now that are so sweet. It just depends on how they were treated as chicks I guess.

7. dchronicles

dchronicles Just Hatched

I received a batch of RIR's 5 weeks ago and they are pretty much docile. At 3 weeks, they began the pecking order and were very loud through the night hours until I decided on giving them one of those "baby cakes" from feed store. Only left it in for an hour and then pulled it out. They were calm the rest of night. Now at 5 weeks, I place them on good days here in high desert to romp in run. There are moments when two or three will charge each other and chest butt with feet, but then they routinely start dusting or napping in groups. I probably spend more time with them than expected, but they respond to my voice and love to be pet or peck at my shirt sleeve or shoe laces. I have provided diversion when they are inside with hanging bells and beads from craft store, as well as small mirrors along the pen wall. They love the mirrors and usually will sleep next to their reflection... I'm a newbie and this is my first time in raising chickens, so maybe have gone overboard with attention , but the result has paid off with calm girls and funny antics...

8. cheepcheep riri

Apr 16, 2014
    Bandera,TX
    One of the problems with RIRs is that they can be aggressive with the chickens. I have 6 RIR chicks and just got 6 other breeds of chicks and they are doing reallly well even though they are 4 days older than them.

9. jennyg

jennyg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Haleiwa, HI
    I had one in last years batch but was a Roo, he was amazing! Rehomed him at 16 weeks. Now we have a 5 day old hopfully pullet

10. cheepcheep riri

Apr 16, 2014
    Bandera,TX
    We also had a RIR Roo thatw as supposed to be a pullet. I had a thing for my little sister (who's 5) he would chase and chase her across the yard. Not anything else just her. Well he's been dead for about a year now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by