Anyone else setting eggs today - 1/31?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SIMZ, Jan 31, 2012.

1. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hi everyone! I'm setting 35 eggs today at noon for a class. I'm very excited and have been planning this for months. The incubator will have to stay at home, but I'm going to take a few eggs to candle each week for our class. The goal is to have some little fluffy chicks to take to the class on 2/25.

The best part is that all the babies that hatch are already spoken for. All of the fun with none of the work! :)

Anyone else setting today, too?

2. just2rosey

just2rosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    I am setting eggs today also. I currently have 20 eggs, 4 bantam cochin, and 16 Ameraucana. I am uncertain what my fertility rate is on the Ameraucanas, I guess I will find out in a few days. How are you planning to keep the eggs warm when you take them in to candle for your students? I have taken eggs to candle for my Sunday School class before, and took them in a cooler with a heating pad and towels to keep them warm. I am using the little heat pads for reptiles in my brooders, they keep a steady 100 degree surface temp. The could be used to keep the eggs warm in your class when they travel. Good Luck! I am sure your students will be so excited, this is such a wonderful learning opportunity for them.

3. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I also set my batch of eggs today! My first batch. I'm starting small with only 5 eggs. We'll see how this goes. :)

4. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm so excited there are others setting, too! My husband is going to be really sick of hearing about it after a few days, so it's nice to have others to "talk" to! LOL

I have a small cooler to take them in and I was thinking of using those hand warmer things and see how that works. That's a great idea with the heating pad - thank you! I'm hoping it doesn't hurt the eggs, but I don't know how else to do it. I set lots so we'll (hopefully) still get chicks. Were yours ok when you did it?

Dreamer - what are you setting?

Mine are all mutts. I'm so curious to see what they look like. Whenever I crack open eggs they seem to be fertile, so we'll see what happens.

Let's keep in touch!

5. dreamer5577

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Mine are mutts too! Haha
    I currently have 2 leghorns hens, a black star/bantam hen, 2 red star/bantams hen&rooster.
    I'm curious as to what the chicks will look like!
    My leghorns are excellent layers so I tried to put more eggs from my leghorns in the incubator hoping for some great layers.
    *FINGERS CROSSED*

What kind of mutts are you expecting?

6. P'Fowls

P'Fowls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Dahlonega, Ga
    I set all of my eggs on Sunday afternoon. I have done that for years now. Every Sunday is egg setting day. Every Friday is transfering eggs to hatcher day. It just becomes a habit after doing it so long. That system works great for us.

7. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I've read about having systems like that. Great plan if you hatch a lot of eggs.

Dreamer - I won't have a pure bred in the bunch. I have 3 roosters and I've seen them all mating the hens, although I'm expecting that my older Orpington will be the daddy most of the time. The other two are a Welsummer and a Black Copper Marans, but they're still pretty young. I mostly am setting eggs from Golden Comets, Barred Rock, Americauna, and RIR. I used a few leghorn eggs, but they're still pretty small. I'm going to use them for candling since they're light.

Both of our crosses should make some interesting looking birds.

8. dreamer5577

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    That's for sure.

Have you incubated a lot before? Being this is my first batch, I'm so nervous. Can't wait for the day I see some progress!

9. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    This is only my second hatch. My first hatch was in October of 12 Black Copper Marans eggs that I bought from a local person. I faithfully turned those little eggs 3 times a day. I kept candling them, but they were so dark that it looked like blobs. (Not that I really knew what to look for anyway!) It seemed impossible that anything was going to hatch because I really didn't know what I was doing. Then I remember putting my face right up the incubator right before they were due to hatch and heard a little cheep. I thought I imagined it! Then I heard another and about flipped out with excitement! LOL Five hatched - three boys and two girls.

10. just2rosey

just2rosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    Well this is shaping up to be a nice blend of experienced and beginner hatchers. [​IMG] I ended up setting a total of 24 eggs, 5 cochins and 19 Ameraucanas. I only have purebreds set for this hatch since they are for my daughter's 4H project. I have been having a bit of trouble getting my temps to come up where they belong, so I just tweaked my thermostat a bit. I have a home made incubator, and it is wanting to run a couple of degrees cooler than usual. I will monitor it closely this evening and see if I can get it to stabilize. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by