Anyone else struggling with URI's w/ this cold weather??? What more can I do?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hollymh, Feb 5, 2014.

1. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    We have had on and off URI's all winter, it started with the cold snap and ice back in Dec and now it's just off and on, the girls get layer feed, treats, vitamin water every now and then and free range but we cannot get rid of the colds! It starts with one and then two more will get it, everyone gets over it and then a few weeks later it shows up again. Pretty sure its not coryza, they just get the sniffles, no deaths and all have gotten over it without treatment. This time though I dosed with Duramycin-10, they don't seem to be getting over it like they did earlier in the season, again its minimal sneezing, and nasal discharge, some honking every now and then. No new birds added, all are 5mos or older, good air circulation in the coop, not dusty, and no ammonia smell. What more can I do to boost their immune systems, I added a heat lamp to the coop bc it hasn't gotten above freezing in days and will be in the teens with snow. Any suggestions on what I can do? Its always only 2-3 birds out of 9...

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like you may have infectious bronchitis or mycoplasmaG/CRD going around. IB will usually infect 100% of the flock eventually, and is a virus which doesn't respond to antibiotics, but will have to run it's course over a month or so. MG/CRD is chronic and will come back on them. If you aren't using the maximum 800mg dosage for the Duramycin10 , I would--it's 1 TB per gallon. A stronger antibiotic is Tylan Soluble Powder--it's pricey at $50, but you may nedd to use it a lot in the future, and it goes a long way. The simplest thing to know what you are dealing with is to get one tested by your county extention agent, local NPIP, or state vet. The use of oxine in coops is done by many to disinfect, and it is safe for the chickens. Here is a link: http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm

3. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Thank you! Im going to send some sample off and pick up some Tylan, I have been doing 800mg of the Duramycin, but this is the first time I've treated since it always cleared up quickly in the past so hopefully it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by