Anyone else with exotic ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by flyingmonkeypoop, Jul 15, 2008.

1. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Does anyone else have exotic type ducks? I got my name put on a list for a pair of marbled teal and a pair of chiloe widgeons. TOday I am starting on their pen even though they wont be here til around November. I have decided to make it about 20' x 20' x 6' tall. I plan on planting grass and daylilies in most of it with some small bushes.
    Originally I was going to get ringed teal but they are small and not too smart from what I have read.

If anyone else has exotic ducks can you give me some pointers on the pen setup?

Michael

2. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
  3. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Thanks Dan for the links, Jan Hartman's site is helpful, I book mared it for future references.
    You have a very nice site there, lots and lots of information.

In your experience with the marbled teal what are they like as far as behavior, are they calm or flighty? Also how big are the widgeons and marbled teal compared to a call duck?

Thanks,
    Michael

4. Lophura

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:Thanks for the compliments on the site Michael!! All of the Marbled Teal I have owned at home and worked with at a zoo aviary have always been typical of captive teal - somewhat wary and nervous, but not completely spastic and nuts (if that makes sense!!). They won't go bashing themselves into the mesh, but don't count on them eating from your hands either. They are good aviary birds and becoming rarer in the wild, so a good conservation aviary bird as well!!

Marbled Teal are longer and more slender than a Call Duck, the Chiloe are larger and bigger bodied than both Calls & Marbled Teal.

You will enjoy both species' voices, not quite a quack or a whistle, unique and interesting.

Here is a photo of my male in 2007 -

[​IMG]

The pair at the Kansas City Zoo taken last week -

[​IMG]

Second pic shows the slender body better than the first. I last kept Chiloe in 99 and don't have any digitals to post.

Dan

5. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    What are the widgeons like in temperment? Are either of them flighty, like do they roost on branches?

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Bot this year, but ifthey are rather quiet i might get some mandrin eggs next year. they are such beautiful birds. of course if they are not to 'spensive either.

7. Lophura

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:Typically no. Wigeons are dabblers and Marbled Teal, well are somewhat debated, but most often listed with dabblers. I have teal and pintail that will perch on platforms during the day, but always spend the evenings on the water.

Dan

8. Nessy

Nessy Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    Southern Cali
    Don’t most waterfowl adapt to their environment and conditions? I have white mallards and Mandarins and the mallards perch while the mandarins hang in the pool.

I love teals I have been trying to get some locally with no luck, but I also keep my birds as well as raise Mandarins for the Catamaran Hotel in San Diego. I think the widgeons are really fun as well; the hotel has one they got for free from a breeder who was going to put him down because he had a crooked beak. Gorgeous bird and the beak does not slow him down.

One nice thing about the mandarins you can teach them your own calls and feed them out of your hand as long as you hand raise them.

Edit~ Chenoa waterfowl info site has a lot of information like how to build the aviaries and such~
    http://www.utm.edu/departments/cece/idea.shtml

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by