1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone else with July-born chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mattsanity, Dec 1, 2014.

1. mattsanity

mattsanity Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2014
    Central NH
    My girls (and one boy) were hatched July 6th and I think (also hope) are on the verge of laying. I know they're not overdue or anything because they're still not too old and the daylight here is getting near the minimum for the year. I was just wondering if anyone else had chicks hatched that time of year and if they've gotten an egg yet or would like to commiserate with me on this whole waiting thing. So many of the girls are getting very red in the comb now and looking so chicken-like, for lack of a better term. I know it's got to happen soon. [​IMG]

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi

My first brood of chicks (farmyard mutts) hatched 14th June and the first one started laying last week. There are 6 of them and they all look very similar, but there is definitely more than one laying now.... I've had 2 tiny blue/green eggs today and 2 dark brown ones from my Marans which are a week or so older.
    Like you I did wonder if I would get any eggs from them before the turn of the year, with the days being so short and it has been really overcast and dull here during the hours of daylight we've had, so I was delighted to get my first eggs.
    Hopefully your girls will start in the next few weeks too.

Good luck

Barbara

3. mattsanity

Aug 8, 2014
    Central NH
    Great to hear people's summer chicks are making it to laying time before next spring. It's equally encouraging since you're probably at a similar latitude and dealing with the same daylight constraints coupled with an abundance of grey days. It's been a bit chilly here but they don't seem to mind, so as I said I too hope so see an egg or two (or more) in the coming weeks. Thanks for sharing and the well wishes, Barbara! Here's hoping your girls keep their egg-laying momentum as well!

4. rebrascora

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I was just saying to my partner yesterday that all that was missing from my egg box were some white eggs now (I have light brown, dark brown with and without speckles, plum coloured and now blue/green). Today one of my exchequer leghorns obliged. She is an older mature bird but had not laid since a dog attack in Sept which took her mate Horace and then she and her sister went into moult and I assumed I wouldn't see an egg from them until Spring. It seems like, once one starts, there is suddenly a competition for who can get to the nest boxes first!
    Just want to see my Welsummer produce something now.

I expected I would have a dearth of eggs until next year, but at this rate I'll be able to give some away as winter solstice gifts along with some of my home produced honey!

Look forward to reading that your ladies have started laying very soon!

Regards

Barbara

5. mattsanity

Aug 8, 2014
    Central NH
    I guess I was whining over nothing as was of the ladies was kind enough to leave me her first gem in between my 8am and noon nest box checks! Just thought I'd report back and thanks again for the earlier encouragement!

6. rebrascora

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Congratulations! Hope it's the first of many!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by