Anyone elses chickens go where they are NOT supposed to go?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AJ666, Nov 25, 2010.

1. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    They cant be on the porch. They LOVE going on the porch.
    They cant be in the basement. They LOVE being in the basement.
    They cant perch on the railing. They LOVE perching on the railing!

I know that chickens cannot understand rules, but am I the only one who gets the feeling that my chickens only like going where I dont want them?!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I think the correct question should be 'do anyone's birds NOT go where they aren't supposed to?' [​IMG]

My chickens aren't too bad, but I've got a small flock of guineas that have decided the porch rafters is a great place to roost...plus the geese like to come on the porch from time to time to check things out....do you know how NASTY goose poo is? [​IMG]

3. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    Quote:Is it as nasty as chicken poo?

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Ok I used to have a gate on my back porch to keep the chickens off. It was mainly my roo Red that would call them up there, but they loooooved to sneak up there when they weren't supposed to. They would squeeze in between the gate and the deck railing if they could, etc.

After Mr Red moved in with the bachelors, the dogs broke the gate (it wasn't real sturdy) and for some reason, the chickens didn't flood up on the porch like they did when it was gated off. I guess since they could get up there, it wasn't as attractive anymore. Or maybe because Red wasn't leading them astray? Eh, who knows?

5. ponygal12

ponygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Mine love the woods. They are NOT suppose to go in there unless they want to be gobbled up for lunch [​IMG] My chickens are pretty good though. The stay in the yard....well all stay in except one crazy chicken who isn't allowed out of the coop.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Is it as nasty as chicken poo?

Worse! First off, goose poo is huge compared to chickens and anything it touches is stained green [​IMG]

7. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    YES! Oh my gosh..
    They go in the woods.. why? Theres cyoties!!!
    They come in the house (Alright.. thats my fault!)
    They go out on our parking lot.. lol?
    They go on my Mom's garden and ruin her flowers.. oh well lol

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Try having freely ranging geese. . . [​IMG]

You thought chickens were bad? Trying having monstrous poops on your porch, your vegetable garden torn to shreds (and I mean eaten, not just dug up) your lawn ripped by the roots, your objects around the yard chewed to bits, your wooden buildings trimmed to have round edges, and of course do NOT introduce small dogs, cats, or poultry that the geese didn't know of beforehand.

HONK honk honk honk!!! Off they go chasing the animal, then trying to kill it.

They once killed a wild rabbit. [​IMG]

9. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Well we use to have a weird flower box thing up on top of the front door,my golden phoinex hen decided it was a great place to sleep for the night and always slept up there until I finally took it down with a ladder.Then there was my mallard drake called Chan who would run out on the street and attack people(even dogs [​IMG] )

10. ajaldridge

ajaldridge Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    FORSYTH, GA
    My mom came home from work earlier this week during her early lunch break and found one of the chickens had not only gotten out but made a nest in her flower bed. Granted its winter so it wasn't as big a deal but the chicken still managed to make a huge mess. I woke up to my mom lecturing the chicken very loudly, which didn't do any good. Silly chicken just stood up and walked away leaving a nice big brown egg behind all proud of herself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by