1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone else's geese enjoy music?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by fancbrd4me02, Nov 19, 2009.

1. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

My female Tufted Roman seems to enjoy listening to music on headphones. If I hold the speaker (headphone) next to her head, she tilts her head and listens. She will listen as long as I hold the speaker for her. When I play music in the house, both she and the gander will often come and sit/stand under the open window as long as I play it. If I bring my speakers to work in the yard, they often stand around by them while the music plays. My gander is too grumpy to figure out the headphone thing, I think.

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I have to ask, what type of music do they like?

3. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    I was driving Henrietta, a Sebastopol/Toulouse hen, 500 miles to my mom's home in Norco, when I found out how she felt about music; Every time the music stopped, she fussed; when it started up again she settled right down. This was classical; since she was next to the speakers in the back door I didn't want to hurt her ears. I think she liked it all though. Now I remember, it was Beethoven. [​IMG]
    and a bit of Mozart [​IMG]

4. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    Classy geese! High brows! [​IMG]

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

My youngest son plays trumpet and piano. Everyday when he gets home from school he practices immediately. Both our geese wait for him to get home and then stand next to the window. When my son is playing trumpet they honk with him, and when he plays the piano they settle down next to the window. When he's done they make a few honks and head to the back yard.

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Well Sebastopol/Toulouse goose comes from an European background=classical music. ThatÂ’s why I asked about the Roman mentioned first in this thread, suspected Opera. Chinas and African= ??? , American Buff= Rock? Pilgrim=hymns? I had a Pilgrim gander once who would join in with the coyotes when they woould hooowl at the mooooon.

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I have a chinese and roman... The chinese is the most vocal during the trumpet sessions.

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Mine love it when I sing the
    Bad Ducks Bad Ducks
    song. It means the ducks are in trouble, not the geese. [​IMG]

9. fancbrd4me02

My Romans don't seem too picky - They do seem very interested in Ethnic music with drums, Indian music, or The Killers, some weird German Rock band my brother likes, I guess a fast tempo works for them.

10. fancbrd4me02

fast beat i mean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by