Anyone ever bought chicks from bomgaars?

We buy all our feed from Bomgaars, and our hens (and chicks when we were raising them) did fine.

We haven't bought chicks from them yet, since our local store didn't exist until after we already had the chickens. But we will likely purchase chicks from them this spring and will let you know how it goes.

I would expect that different Bomgaars might order their chicks from different sources based on location.

Our Bomgaars has an experienced chicken keeper on staff, so I would tend to trust wherever my local store buys its chicks.

We have since 2012. Ours have been healthy. I just bought 2 silkies from them last night. We have had good luck with Bomgaars. We live in a rural area but really don't have many choices to buy chicks, I was considering buying some online but really didn't want or need 25 chicks and our P.O. sucks so don't feel comfortable doing that. We have 7 chickens 2 guineas plus our new baby silkies. All came from bomgaars. I just wish they had more selection. I went back today to get a few more chicks, they were sold out. So I'm happy we got our silkies yesterday.

We purchased our laying hens from Bomgaars. All were healthy. However, I inspected each one as they went in the box for pasty butt. I have noticed some Bomgaars locations have bad cases of pasty butt. Sad and concerning cases to where I said something to the manager. We used the chick feed until we found better quality feed with less dust (that the chickens won’t eat!) at a local feed supply store (D and M Ag supply Rapid City SD) which was same price for 50lb bags. I believe Bomgaars uses Murray Mc Murray hatchery if I remember correctly.

We purchased our laying hens from Bomgaars. All were healthy. However, I inspected each one as they went in the box for pasty butt. I have noticed some Bomgaars locations have bad cases of pasty butt. Sad and concerning cases to where I said something to the manager. We used the chick feed until we found better quality feed with less dust (that the chickens won’t eat!) at a local feed supply store (D and M Ag supply Rapid City SD) which was same price for 50lb bags. I believe Bomgaars uses Murray Mc Murray hatchery if I remember correctly.
That’s what I was wondering.. what hatchery. I have heard a lot of good things over the negatives about McMurray and they are kinda local to us in Des Moines, Iowa.

That’s what I was wondering.. what hatchery. I have heard a lot of good things over the negatives about McMurray and they are kinda local to us in Des Moines, Iowa.
I apologize. I had the hatchery name wrong. It is Hoover’s Hatchery that my local feed store uses. We ordered 16 Red Ranger meat birds from them last year and they were great. We just ordered more laying chicks for delivery March 12. We trust our feed store because he has never steered us wrong. And my chicks from Bomgaars were super healthy and are doing great so we are satisfied with them.

I apologize. I had the hatchery name wrong. It is Hoover’s Hatchery that my local feed store uses. We ordered 16 Red Ranger meat birds from them last year and they were great. We just ordered more laying chicks for delivery March 12. We trust our feed store because he has never steered us wrong. And my chicks from Bomgaars were super healthy and are doing great so we are satisfied with them.
Can’t recall what Bomgaars uses so it can be McMurray. Should be on their website. I just make sure the chicks are chosen in front of me and scope out the conditions in the store first. I’m not sure a retail store with chicks is a good comparison to the actual hatchery. I worry it is more to do with the lack of attention to the chicks once they arrive in the retail store

Back
Top Bottom